Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would it offend you or hurt your feelings if.....?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 80 Replies

Ok my mom is a smoker. She knows my husband is allergic to cigaret smoke. And that it means the kids might be as well. She has stuff to send the kids which is fine. But it includes four stuffed Christmas bears. Two of the she has had for a year and a half in her home ther other two she has had since this past Christmas in her home. She kept them in a room with the door shut but she does smoke in her home and has central air which means the air circulates through the whole place. I told her that I was going to wash the bears first before I let the kids play with them and stuff. And she got mad and said I hurt her feelings and offended her for saying that. Would it offend you for someone to wash a gift if you smoke? 

Sarah      10-16-06                                     Luciano 11-27-08

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsKaufold1990
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Just put them in a pillow case and wash them a few times.

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Oh I am going to. But she got mad that I want to wash them. Would you get mad about something like that?

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Nope. 

I wash EVERYTHING.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Oh I am going to. But she got mad that I want to wash them. Would you get mad about something like that?

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

outtamymynd
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM
6 moms liked this
You didn't have to tell her you were going to wash it first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Wash them a few times. I don't think it was necessary for you to say it. You probably could have just done it and not said anything. And specific allergies do not pass. I am allergic to animals, codeine, and different metals. Dh is allergic to bananas. None of my kids are allergic to anything except my youngest being allergic to tomatoes. I agree with wanting to wash them. I hate that smell and do not allow my parent's to smoke around them. They smoke outside or hold it. They also do that by choice for them at there homes. My youngest has asthma.
ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Well since she knows my husband is allergic I just thought it was common sense that I was going to wash them. 

Quoting outtamymynd:

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I will be washing them if she sends them. I just thought it was common sense that I would wash them. And I know not all allergies pass but my husband lives in the same house and that smell is strong and he is very sensitive to it and she knows it. And since I moved out of her home and started breathing fresh air I can not stand that smell any more.

Quoting Rachael-Dawn:

Wash them a few times. I don't think it was necessary for you to say it. You probably could have just done it and not said anything. And specific allergies do not pass. I am allergic to animals, codeine, and different metals. Dh is allergic to bananas. None of my kids are allergic to anything except my youngest being allergic to tomatoes. I agree with wanting to wash them. I hate that smell and do not allow my parent's to smoke around them. They smoke outside or hold it. They also do that by choice for them at there homes. My youngest has asthma.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I believe that it wouldn't hurt my feelings. I guess I wouldn't tell the smoker.

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM
3 moms liked this
Which is why you didn't need to tell her. I wouldn't have even said that. You aren't wrong for washing them and I don't think she should be offended, but you didn't really need to say it either.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Well since she knows my husband is allergic I just thought it was common sense that I was going to wash them. 

Quoting outtamymynd:

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:58 PM

With her I do. Because she would want pictures of them with them and since I have to wash them I won't be taking pics right away. 

Quoting Kaybean:

Which is why you didn't need to tell her. I wouldn't have even said that. You aren't wrong for washing them and I don't think she should be offended, but you didn't really need to say it either.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting outtamymynd:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN