Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What kind of vacuum should I buy?

Posted by   + Show Post
I am buying a new vacuum. What kind should I buy?
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
danijean
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:14 PM
My sister has a Kirby she paid $1200 for it. I hate using it because it's heavy. I have a shark which I love.

Quoting taKENheart:

Cool!  My Dyson is 8yrs old also!  It still works like it did the day I bought it.

My grandmother was a loyal Kirby lover but the ones she bought cost more than my Dyson I believe.

Quoting fatcat0908:

my dyson is eight years old and still works amazing

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:49 PM
I also have a Kirby Sentra. I hate it. The Dyson is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times better.

Quoting taKENheart:

Cool!  My Dyson is 8yrs old also!  It still works like it did the day I bought it.

My grandmother was a loyal Kirby lover but the ones she bought cost more than my Dyson I believe.

Quoting fatcat0908:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taKENheart
by Flovely on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Oh I remember that it was heavy!  My grandmother couldn't pick it up at her age.  My grandmother gave me her old one in 1992 and I had it shipped to Germany with me (military).  It burned in a warehouse fire before I got it to our home :/ We were still reimbursed $1300 just for the Kirby vacuum cleaner. 
My Dyson is the older bulkier models.  I wonder if the newer ones work just as good as mine does.  I'm willing to buy another one. 
I don't have a shark but it's good to hear that you love it. 

Quoting danijean:

My sister has a Kirby she paid $1200 for it. I hate using it because it's heavy. I have a shark which I love.

Quoting taKENheart:

Quoting fatcat0908:

taKENheart
by Flovely on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Can I ask why you hate your Kirby Sentra?  I'm just curious because my grandmother loved her Kirby so much. 
I actually don't sweep anymore and just use my Dyson on my tile and then mop, lol!  That Dyson picks up everything and I love it.

Quoting fatcat0908:

I also have a Kirby Sentra. I hate it. The Dyson is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times better.

Quoting taKENheart:

Quoting fatcat0908:

baquick
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM
If you can afford one.. The new rainbow. OMG that thing is awesome. I'm saving for one. It's also an air cleaner you can leave on 24/7 and then kick it in high gear and vacuum.
shannzuno
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM
I have a Hoover Nano. Was around 45-50$ i love it. I use it every day. Works great on carpets and floors. I couldnt see spending hundreds on a vacuum. Maybe my mind will change one day.
baquick
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM
I wish mine did that :-/ mine SUCKS. I HATE IT! It's about 8yrs old too. The yellow one without the ball. It's NEVER worked properly. I called on it 2 days after buying it. Damn thing won't even pick lint off the rug but yet the damn canister is ALWAYS full. I clean the filter regularly. Even replaced it a few times.

Quoting taKENheart:

Can I ask why you hate your Kirby Sentra?  I'm just curious because my grandmother loved her Kirby so much. 
I actually don't sweep anymore and just use my Dyson on my tile and then mop, lol!  That Dyson picks up everything and I love it.

Quoting fatcat0908:

Quoting taKENheart:

Quoting fatcat0908:

allornone
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Depends on budget. I love my dyson mine is six years old.

my mom kills And I mean kills vacuums she has had her dyson two years and it is still like new.

if budget is concerned check the goodwill.  Even the goodwill online.

fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:04 AM
The Kirby is constantly chewing up belts because it gets hairs (were a household with four long haired girls living in it) tangled up on the rod that spins the belt. It's next to impossible to use it as a handheld for the stairs, it weights approximately three pounds more than the U.S. Military's most armored vehicle. It doesn't pick up larger debris like beads or popcorn kernels, it just shoots them across the room like bb's. The bags are a fortunend the cord is very awkward and I'm forever running it over, which must have been a common issue, because there is a built in feature that if you run over the cord the vacuum immediately shuts down.

Quoting taKENheart:

Quoting fatcat0908:

Quoting taKENheart:

Quoting fatcat0908:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taKENheart
by Flovely on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Ok that just reminded me what I have to do before using the bare floors setting!  I always have to put it on carpet first and once it starts sucking up the junk (takes a minute) then I can put it on the bare floor setting.  I almost forgot about that!  Yep, I have the one without the ball pivot system.  I wish I had that one though.
I don't think I've exchanged the filter that often Eeeks!  Checking on that in the morning!

Quoting baquick:

I wish mine did that :-/ mine SUCKS. I HATE IT! It's about 8yrs old too. The yellow one without the ball. It's NEVER worked properly. I called on it 2 days after buying it. Damn thing won't even pick lint off the rug but yet the damn canister is ALWAYS full. I clean the filter regularly. Even replaced it a few times.

Quoting taKENheart:

Quoting fatcat0908:

Quoting taKENheart:

Quoting fatcat0908:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN