Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What kind of vacuum should I buy?

Posted by   + Show Post
I am buying a new vacuum. What kind should I buy?
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Replies (21-27):
kisha89
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:20 AM
We bought a dyson that has febreeze filters. And when we vacuum the whole place smells amazing! :)
taKENheart
by Flovely on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I remember that nasty belt burning smell when hers would catch on somthing.  I guess it's very heavy even still...wow!
I'm glad it has that built in feature but wouldn't every vacuum have that safety issue then?  I do need a better system for my stairs...cat hair is an issue on the stairs but I don't like using attachments on the stairs...doesn't work as good and not in every sharp crease. :/

Quoting fatcat0908:

The Kirby is constantly chewing up belts because it gets hairs (were a household with four long haired girls living in it) tangled up on the rod that spins the belt. It's next to impossible to use it as a handheld for the stairs, it weights approximately three pounds more than the U.S. Military's most armored vehicle. It doesn't pick up larger debris like beads or popcorn kernels, it just shoots them across the room like bb's. The bags are a fortunend the cord is very awkward and I'm forever running it over, which must have been a common issue, because there is a built in feature that if you run over the cord the vacuum immediately shuts down.

Quoting taKENheart:

Can I ask why you hate your Kirby Sentra?  I'm just curious because my grandmother loved her Kirby so much. 
I actually don't sweep anymore and just use my Dyson on my tile and then mop, lol!  That Dyson picks up everything and I love it.

Quoting fatcat0908:

I also have a Kirby Sentra. I hate it. The Dyson is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times better.

Quoting taKENheart:

Cool!  My Dyson is 8yrs old also!  It still works like it did the day I bought it.

My grandmother was a loyal Kirby lover but the ones she bought cost more than my Dyson I believe.

Quoting fatcat0908:

my dyson is eight years old and still works amazing

coleysmama
by Lisa on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Agree.
I borrowed my friends dyson and it was very good but bought the shark navigator and it was crazy how much it took out of my carpets the first few times!

Quoting Caitlin411:

I have a shark and dyson. I love the shark on carpet and the dyson seems to work better on hard floors.

If I had to choose only one it would be shark hands down.
Godgaveme4
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Check consumer reports.

We bought a new one a few years ago and checked out what consumer reports said. The top one was the Eureka Boss. It was rated better than the Dyson.
Godgaveme4
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM
What s with he spam reply? I keep seeing these pop up.

Quoting juliajuli952:

my co-worker makes $77/hour on the laptop. She has been without work for 8 months but last month her check was $16291 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more here.... www.ℛusℎ60.ℂℴm

Barefootbrats
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Shark rotator liftaway. I found it on QVC with every type of attachment you could dream of and I use them alll. It's a wonderful machine and sucks like no other vac I've ever had. It stands up very well to our pets and all my long hair that somehow is everywhere. Not to mention all the kid messes. Very affordable compared to other brands. It also breaks apart fairly easily so if it does get ,clogged it's a breeze to remove.
alexis_06
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:30 AM

dyson is usually pretty good

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN