Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you be offended or hurt and what do you say to your kid?

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is new to her school for over a year now and already has a best friend, they are inseperable. Well her best friend's birthday was today and her parents threw her a birthday party which my daughter was not invited to, even though this same girl was invited and attended my daughters birthday earlier this month. Her best friend never mentioned that she was having a party today until one of the girls invited brought a gift to school. She then proceded to tell Olivia(my daughter) that she wanted to have my daughter another day over for just the two of them to celebrate, but i have heard nothing from the parents to this sort. only three girls were invited one was another best friend and the other two were girls she knows but never plays with, am i loosing my mind does this make any sense? I do not know what to think or say any advice?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Replies (11-17):
brettsmomma
by Tammie on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Does the mother know they are best friends? I wouldn't look to much into it. I would tell my kid that the mom couldn't afford to invite every one. 

Photo: -Randi.

jennj76569
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I NOTICED FOR SOME WEIRD REASON NOW THAT MY KID IS TEN THAT SOMETIMES PARENTS WHO ARE CLOSER FRIENDS WITH OTHER PARENTS seem to try and bring their kids closer or almost force association so that they can associate with certain parents or try to pick and choose who they want their kids to hang out with.. WEIRD AND I DONT UNDERSTAND IT but it sure does look like that sometimes in these situations... hmmmmmm

thatgirl70
by Carin on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I've been in the opposite situation, where we were invited to a birthday party (former co-workers of mine who also had kids), yet they would not bother to come to my child's birthday parties. Honestly, that hurt and I don't care to attend parties anymore, but if I knew my son was close to someone like that and wasn't invited, I would probably be hurt by it, yes.

GotSomeKids
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Eh, kids are constantly changing who they hang out with or invite over.  I always tell my kids, just go with the flow.  They've cried over it before, but now just deal with it (not that it happens often, but it does happen).

This little girl is probably just liking to have new friends and getting a feel for these girls.  I think it's normal.

Rochsmom
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:55 AM

You seem to be upset but don't mention how your daughter feels. Don't make a big deal about it and don't jump to conclusions. Just let her have her friend. 

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:55 AM
I agree with the poster who said maybe the mom doesn't know the play at school Alot. It's possible too that your daughter sees the friendship as being more bff than does the other girl.
tristansmom74
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Ugg- there could be dozens of different reason. If the girls are getting aling fine then just let it go.
I had a wedding where it was mostly vague friends. My husbands bestie and my bestie. It was a fast wedding but afterward i kept thinking why the heck didn't i invite all my real real friends. I've had parties for my son where he could only have a few friends so we invited the ones that knew each other and got along- like only cubscout friends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN