Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What does it mean to be "potty trained"?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM
  • 38 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you consider "Potty Trained"?

Options:

Child has successfully used the potty at least once

Child has requested to use the potty and done so at least once

Child requests and uses the potty several times per day, but sometimes still has accidents or uses a diaper

Child uses the potty (with rare accidents) for pee, but not poop (or vice versa)

Child uses the potty but is still diapered at naps/night

Child monitors self and uses the potty for all day/night needs but may need help with wiping and/or clothing

Child is completely independent and doesn't need any assistance at all.

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 69

View Results

I hear various meanings all the time.  I'm curious what the overall consensus is.  I know some people clarify "pee trained" or "day trained" but I'm curious about the big term "potty trained".  What does it mean for a child to be "potty trained"?  I am sure that "completely independent" is potty trained, but is there a level before that that you'd still consider "potty trained"?  

(I have heard everything from a kid using the potty once and then the parent declared "potty trained" to a child who pees in the potty all day but will only poop in a diaper, and another who still wears diapers at nap/bed, to being told my child was NOT potty trained when she was completely diaper free, monitored herself, and did everything but needed help with the zipper on her jeans (at age 2))  I'm curious what the overall definition is for most people.  :)

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lovemyshadows
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

When a child recognizes and uses with/without help the potty,(Urine and feces),  Accidents do happen.  Night time may take longer.

poppys_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Night time might take longer, so is the child not considered "potty trained" until night training occurs?  Or is that just a different category?  (It seems like an 8 year old who occasionally wets the bed is probably still considered potty trained, but I wonder if the kid who always has a full diaper after every nap counts as potty trained or not.   (Not that this really matters.  Really just curiosity since I hear so many different things.)  :)

Quoting Lovemyshadows:

When a child recognizes and uses with/without help going to the potty.  Accidents do happen.  Night time may take longer.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM

If they need diaper at night they are "day  trained "to me.  I knew someone who said their child was potty trained but was having 8-10 accidents a day.  That is not trained to me, that is just the parent not wanting to deal with diapers and rather prefers to clean bodily fluids off floor or furniture.

poppys_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Ha.  "My kid just has occasional accidents.  Like every hour."  Certainly that child may be potty trainING but I wouldn't think trained yet.  But hey, if that beats diapers for them, I guess that works.  I just wouldn't call it trainED either.  Maybe they could get away with saying "diaper free"  :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

If they need diaper at night they are "day  trained "to me.  I knew someone who said their child was potty trained but was having 8-10 accidents a day.  That is not trained to me, that is just the parent not wanting to deal with diapers and rather prefers to clean bodily fluids off floor or furniture.

Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM
I didn't consider mine potty trained until they could recognize they needed to go and could make it to the potty without an accident (they will occur but I mean make it 99 percent of the time) and could sleep without a diaper. Until that point I still considered them to be in the potty training process.
Lovemyshadows
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Quoting poppys_mommy:

Night time might take longer, so is the child not considered "potty trained" until night training occurs?  Or is that just a different category?  (It seems like an 8 year old who occasionally wets the bed is probably still considered potty trained, but I wonder if the kid who always has a full diaper after every nap counts as potty trained or not.   (Not that this really matters.  Really just curiosity since I hear so many different things.)  :)

Quoting Lovemyshadows:

When a child recognizes and uses with/without help going to the potty.  Accidents do happen.  Night time may take longer.

Some kids are bedwetters, I was one.  I still was potty trained. No diapers during the day I consider potty trained.  I trained my boys at 3.  No law says 2.  My dd was definitely ready at 2, even at night, she did that on her own.  She said no diaper mama and never wore a diaper or had an accident after that.

Lovemyshadows
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Quoting Rachael-Dawn:

I didn't consider mine potty trained until they could recognize they needed to go and could make it to the potty without an accident (they will occur but I mean make it 99 percent of the time) and could sleep without a diaper. Until that point I still considered them to be in the potty training process.

What about bed wetters?  I was 8 I think, and my granddaughter is 8 now. She's mostly dry at night now.  My kids weren't bedwetters, maybe it skips a generation lol.

Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I still qualify them as trained. My oldest is 8 1/2 and still does this. Apparently so did dad and aunt.

Quoting Lovemyshadows:

Quoting Rachael-Dawn:

What about bed wetters?  I was 8 I think, and my granddaughter is 8 now. She's mostly dry at night now.  My kids weren't bedwetters, maybe it skips a generation lol.

ajdahd13
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe a tad bit of help here and there, but I'm sorry, if your kid is wearing pull-ups (but still peeing and pooping in them) he/she is NOT potty trained. I feel I should say that because all of the moms I know, in real life, get this fact confused.
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM
While accidents happen I don't think a kid is potty trained until they go on their own with out a parent prompting them every hour. When you can go out in public with out taking tons of extra clothes and are able to make it to the bathroom in time. Night time can take longer but I think a soaking full diaper after every nap and nights sleep isn't quite there yet.
Some kids need help with clothes as long as they are trying no big deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN