Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What does it mean to be "potty trained"?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you consider "Potty Trained"?

Options:

Child has successfully used the potty at least once

Child has requested to use the potty and done so at least once

Child requests and uses the potty several times per day, but sometimes still has accidents or uses a diaper

Child uses the potty (with rare accidents) for pee, but not poop (or vice versa)

Child uses the potty but is still diapered at naps/night

Child monitors self and uses the potty for all day/night needs but may need help with wiping and/or clothing

Child is completely independent and doesn't need any assistance at all.

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 69

View Results

I hear various meanings all the time.  I'm curious what the overall consensus is.  I know some people clarify "pee trained" or "day trained" but I'm curious about the big term "potty trained".  What does it mean for a child to be "potty trained"?  I am sure that "completely independent" is potty trained, but is there a level before that that you'd still consider "potty trained"?  

(I have heard everything from a kid using the potty once and then the parent declared "potty trained" to a child who pees in the potty all day but will only poop in a diaper, and another who still wears diapers at nap/bed, to being told my child was NOT potty trained when she was completely diaper free, monitored herself, and did everything but needed help with the zipper on her jeans (at age 2))  I'm curious what the overall definition is for most people.  :)

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
poppys_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I have a friend whose nearly 3 year old is about to start preschool and her mom (grandma) asked if it was ok that he's not potty trained.  "What do you mean?  He IS potty trained.  He just needs a diaper to poop and for nap and bedtime."  So her mom asked if she thought he'd be potty trained before preschool.  Mom was furious because he she insists he IS potty trained and thinks her mother just doesn't get it because her child is so young so she just can't believe he's already potty trained.  I suggested she might have a different definition of "potty trained" since he still requires several diapers per day.  (However, he is unlikely to have an issue at preschool since he poops at a regular after-preschool time and he won't be napping there.)

poppys_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Oh, I completely forgot about the "My kid is potty trained because he no longer wears diapers and just wears pull-ups all day" angle.  

(I agree that a child who is still peeing/pooping in a pull up all day is not yet potty trained)

Quoting ajdahd13:

Maybe a tad bit of help here and there, but I'm sorry, if your kid is wearing pull-ups (but still peeing and pooping in them) he/she is NOT potty trained. I feel I should say that because all of the moms I know, in real life, get this fact confused.

CjEmmemommy
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Potty trained Is using the potty day and night with limited accidents (maybe 2 or3 a week in the beginning) a child that can go without being reminded,

Depending in the age I am still happy to help with clothes  after going and butt wipes.

My oldest was almost 3, he needed no help and was day night trained in a week.

2nd was 24 months, she needed help with clothes but never had an accident trained in the same time.

3rd just trained a month ago, still needs help with undies since he isn't tall enough to stand and go. He does put his own on but sometimes backwards. Also trained Ina week.

poppys_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM

My 24 mo old monitors himself, tells me when he needs to go, stays dry all night/naps, and spends several hours per day in underwear with only tiny accidents (a few drops that don't even soak through the underwear (not trainers, just regular underwear) and finishes in the potty. ) I don't consider him potty trained.  I still put him in diapers a lot (and he still uses a few times per day) and when he's in underwear he rarely requests the potty without the few-drop-warning.  I think he's close though-- I just need to do a few full diaper free days and he'll probably be there.  At this point, I consider him still training.

ajdahd13
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Lol! Yes! It's so annoying. Don't come to me and say your 18 month old is trained because you pay more money for pull-ups. Lol

Quoting poppys_mommy:

Oh, I completely forgot about the "My kid is potty trained because he no longer wears diapers and just wears pull-ups all day" angle.  

(I agree that a child who is still peeing/pooping in a pull up all day is not yet potty trained)

Quoting ajdahd13:

Maybe a tad bit of help here and there, but I'm sorry, if your kid is wearing pull-ups (but still peeing and pooping in them) he/she is NOT potty trained. I feel I should say that because all of the moms I know, in real life, get this fact confused.

sugareemommee
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I had to wipe until about 4
cowgirlsmommy
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:27 PM
May I just add that potty trained means using the potty?
I see too many people say their child is potty trained but their child is pissing on everything but the potty.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I would recognize diaper free during the training process.

Quoting poppys_mommy:

Ha.  "My kid just has occasional accidents.  Like every hour."  Certainly that child may be potty trainING but I wouldn't think trained yet.  But hey, if that beats diapers for them, I guess that works.  I just wouldn't call it trainED either.  Maybe they could get away with saying "diaper free"  :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

If they need diaper at night they are "day  trained "to me.  I knew someone who said their child was potty trained but was having 8-10 accidents a day.  That is not trained to me, that is just the parent not wanting to deal with diapers and rather prefers to clean bodily fluids off floor or furniture.

KMAsMommy9182
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:01 PM

When a child is out of diapers and uses the potty both during the day and at night.  Accidents should only be occasional. 

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I would say if they are totally potty trained during the day with no accidents but need a pull up or diaper at night that is still considered potty trained. My son still has accidents at night but he's 3.5 and he's been totally day trained since 25 months. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN