Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What does it mean to be "potty trained"?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you consider "Potty Trained"?

Options:

Child has successfully used the potty at least once

Child has requested to use the potty and done so at least once

Child requests and uses the potty several times per day, but sometimes still has accidents or uses a diaper

Child uses the potty (with rare accidents) for pee, but not poop (or vice versa)

Child uses the potty but is still diapered at naps/night

Child monitors self and uses the potty for all day/night needs but may need help with wiping and/or clothing

Child is completely independent and doesn't need any assistance at all.

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 69

View Results

I hear various meanings all the time.  I'm curious what the overall consensus is.  I know some people clarify "pee trained" or "day trained" but I'm curious about the big term "potty trained".  What does it mean for a child to be "potty trained"?  I am sure that "completely independent" is potty trained, but is there a level before that that you'd still consider "potty trained"?  

(I have heard everything from a kid using the potty once and then the parent declared "potty trained" to a child who pees in the potty all day but will only poop in a diaper, and another who still wears diapers at nap/bed, to being told my child was NOT potty trained when she was completely diaper free, monitored herself, and did everything but needed help with the zipper on her jeans (at age 2))  I'm curious what the overall definition is for most people.  :)

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
poppys_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I'm glad that my general idea of potty trained seems to be normal.  I was starting to feel nuts based on what I hear from other people.  Sometimes I think people claim things to make themselves feel better.  Potty training (heck, parenting!) is tough so I think stretching it a little might be a sanity-preservation matter.  :)

SissyAnn141
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Quoting Lovemyshadows:

Quoting poppys_mommy:

Night time might take longer, so is the child not considered "potty trained" until night training occurs?  Or is that just a different category?  (It seems like an 8 year old who occasionally wets the bed is probably still considered potty trained, but I wonder if the kid who always has a full diaper after every nap counts as potty trained or not.   (Not that this really matters.  Really just curiosity since I hear so many different things.)  :)

Quoting Lovemyshadows:

When a child recognizes and uses with/without help going to the potty.  Accidents do happen.  Night time may take longer.

Some kids are bedwetters, I was one.  I still was potty trained. No diapers during the day I consider potty trained.  I trained my boys at 3.  No law says 2.  My dd was definitely ready at 2, even at night, she did that on her own.  She said no diaper mama and never wore a diaper or had an accident after that.

When I was upset about this, ....

I asked a mother of 3 children, she said "He did not read the "MOMS BOOK" ...... LOL

Children, are READY, When they ARE READY.

If they are "OVER-TRIED", They may wet the bed. ( it happens?).

**** NEVER PUNISH A CHILD, FOR SOMETHING THEY CAN NOT CONTROL)******

SciFiMama91
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:05 AM
When they monitor themselves day and night and use the toilet for both urine and feces. I don't think of needing help cleaning themselves up is a requirement though. Many kids have a difficult time with that until 7.
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:07 AM

When a child does not have accidents in the day time. My kids were trained with no accidents before 16 month sold, well 2 were, one was trained day and night before that age. They couldnt go in the bathroom alone and wipe or wash hands bythemselves they were so small, but they still had no accidents.

My now 16 month old is still being trained, she poops every day on the potty but still has pee accidents and wears a diaper to bed at night.

noahscott
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's when the child can and does ask or announce to use the potty and does so successfully everyday no matter what time of the day and have very few accidents.

I say ask or announce because my 2 year old can't get himself up to the potty, he needs help wiping, and when he does attempt to redress himself, his clothes are always backwards. lol.

SissyAnn141
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Quoting noahscott:

I think it's when the child can and does ask or announce to use the potty and does so successfully everyday no matter what time of the day and have very few accidents.

I say ask or announce because my 2 year old can't get himself up to the potty, he needs help wiping, and when he does attempt to redress himself, his clothes are always backwards. lol.

Sorry, hugsThat is "JUST TOO CUTE".

HEY, atleast he tried. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

"A", in my BOOK, for effort.

Lovemyshadows
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting Lovemyshadows:

Quoting poppys_mommy:

Night time might take longer, so is the child not considered "potty trained" until night training occurs?  Or is that just a different category?  (It seems like an 8 year old who occasionally wets the bed is probably still considered potty trained, but I wonder if the kid who always has a full diaper after every nap counts as potty trained or not.   (Not that this really matters.  Really just curiosity since I hear so many different things.)  :)

Quoting Lovemyshadows:

When a child recognizes and uses with/without help going to the potty.  Accidents do happen.  Night time may take longer.

Some kids are bedwetters, I was one.  I still was potty trained. No diapers during the day I consider potty trained.  I trained my boys at 3.  No law says 2.  My dd was definitely ready at 2, even at night, she did that on her own.  She said no diaper mama and never wore a diaper or had an accident after that.

When I was upset about this, ....

I asked a mother of 3 children, she said "He did not read the "MOMS BOOK" ...... LOL

Children, are READY, When they ARE READY.

If they are "OVER-TRIED", They may wet the bed. ( it happens?).

**** NEVER PUNISH A CHILD, FOR SOMETHING THEY CAN NOT CONTROL)******

I would never punish a child for bedwetting having been one my self.  I know how helpless it feels.

FaeryBex
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I view being fully potty trained as getting up during the night and going all by themselves. But accidents can still happen day or night.

eb415
by New Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:14 PM

DD is 8 and still wears a diaper at night because she wets the bed and is almost never dry at night.  She's been potty trained during the day for a long time, though, so wouldn't count sleeping when considering what's "potty trained."

Countess79
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM

As far as I am concerned it is when they go to the potty most of the daytime hours.. Accidents during car rides/naps or night time.. Take a bit longer!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)