Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What does it mean to be "potty trained"?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you consider "Potty Trained"?

Options:

Child has successfully used the potty at least once

Child has requested to use the potty and done so at least once

Child requests and uses the potty several times per day, but sometimes still has accidents or uses a diaper

Child uses the potty (with rare accidents) for pee, but not poop (or vice versa)

Child uses the potty but is still diapered at naps/night

Child monitors self and uses the potty for all day/night needs but may need help with wiping and/or clothing

Child is completely independent and doesn't need any assistance at all.

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 69

View Results

I hear various meanings all the time.  I'm curious what the overall consensus is.  I know some people clarify "pee trained" or "day trained" but I'm curious about the big term "potty trained".  What does it mean for a child to be "potty trained"?  I am sure that "completely independent" is potty trained, but is there a level before that that you'd still consider "potty trained"?  

(I have heard everything from a kid using the potty once and then the parent declared "potty trained" to a child who pees in the potty all day but will only poop in a diaper, and another who still wears diapers at nap/bed, to being told my child was NOT potty trained when she was completely diaper free, monitored herself, and did everything but needed help with the zipper on her jeans (at age 2))  I'm curious what the overall definition is for most people.  :)

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Replies (31-38):
IandLoveandYou
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:40 PM
2 moms liked this
I say 6.

My daughter told me once that she could go to preschool because she's "on the potty train"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I consider my 3 yo potty trained. He uses the potty on his own, all throughout the day. He wears underwear all throughout the day, having no accidents. He still does a pull up at night, for once or twice a week he may go in his sleep. Night training can take a while though.

mamaslilpunkin
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I considered dd potty trained when we ditched the diapers for good,she was dry day and night,could communicate to me that she needed to go or just went into the bathroom by herself,pull her underclothes down/up by herself.She needed me to help her wipe for a while but I didn't really care. She was 2 years,7 months when she could do all that.

nikkikry
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:21 PM

My oldest DD is 5. She has been using the potty during the day without help since before she was 3. However, she does have a nighttime accident once a week or less. I consider her potty trained.

Quoting poppys_mommy:

Night time might take longer, so is the child not considered "potty trained" until night training occurs?  Or is that just a different category?  (It seems like an 8 year old who occasionally wets the bed is probably still considered potty trained, but I wonder if the kid who always has a full diaper after every nap counts as potty trained or not.   (Not that this really matters.  Really just curiosity since I hear so many different things.)  :)

Quoting Lovemyshadows:

When a child recognizes and uses with/without help going to the potty.  Accidents do happen.  Night time may take longer.

eb415
by New Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I'm a little surprised at the number of people who think not having accidents at night is a requirement for being "potty trained."  If that's the case, our 8 year old isn't potty trained....

StrangeDays
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM
#6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sam12796
by Sandy on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Well my youngest DD is trained during the day. Has an rare accident like 2 in the last 4 months. However no matter how early I cut off drinks or wake her at night she still pees in her sleep. I consider her trained. She can not help it. She will out grow it. She is barely 4 right now.

poppys_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Waking due to potty needs  is a hormone apparently that usuallu kicks in between 10 months and something like 4 years, though obviously later for some people.  I don't know that there is training you can really do: go last thing at night, first thing in the morning, maybe reduce fluids at night.... but if the hormone isn't triggering wakefulness, not much you can do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)