Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

People who have cats

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:20 PM
  • 34 Replies

Is it true once cats are indoor cats they're scared of the outside? My cat has been at parents house and they have a tendency to leave doors open and I'm scared he's gonna run out. Should I be scared?

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ErikaRobin
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

No, it's not true.  Not all love to be out, but they're often too stupid to realize it until they're already outside again.

Be scared.  And keep the doors closed.

CrossStitchMum
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM
I don't have a cat anymore because she kept getting out, even pushing at the window screens until they were ajar enough for her to escape. I think they mostly escape if they haven't been spayed or neutered
themissheather
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:24 PM
I have two, male, fixed cats. One is a scaredy cay and sleeps under the crib all day. The other is highly curious and likes to try to follow me outside. Depends on the cat. I wouldn't leave the doors open.
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Sorry idk im not a cat person lol.

connorsmom2009
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:53 PM

BUMP!

delilahsmom1177
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:02 PM

most know to come back. They know where they're fed. Unless of course someone comes to your house and steals a mommy cat and her 3 kittens. Sorry someone stole my effing cat last night and her 3 babies.

I'm tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Momofmenagerie
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM
It depends on the personality of the cat. Spayed/ neutered are less likely too try it, but if the opportunity presents itself and it's quite possible! I adopted a housecat ( had a collar for awhile) but after transitioning her back to being a housecat where food was readily available. Beds, treats and stuff, she stopped pawing at the door and is fat and sassy as an indoor cat again. She doesn't seem to miss it.....but our kitten that asked for a home from the dumpster area she was left in.... We have to watch her as we've had to chase her back in a time or two. Our relatives are " trained" to make sure the door is closed behind them immediately.

I might just mention you don't want to lose her or find someone else who could keep her. Why is she not with you?
HIJKLM
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM
My cats were indoor only at my old house (over a year), when we moved and got a doggy door they quickly learned to use it and now there's no locking them in, they'll climb screens, make all kinds of noise and stalk the doors till one opens and jet out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:10 PM

no clue.   My cat got out once by mistake and omg he was a wreck for 3 days after that.  He is a scaredy cat and does not go outside on his own.  I take him in my arms once in while to smell the breeze on patio.   My mom has cats which will hang out on their enclosed patio all day and one will try to escape if screen door gets opened.

AmericanChild82
by Chrissy on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Our cats are indoor/outdoor. They come in when hungry, thirsty or to hot/to cold outside. They were indoor cats to start with and were never afraid of being outdoors.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)