Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you forgive people that make horrible mistakes? Like going off on you, or getting mad at something so tiny? If they apologize and change. Would you forgive them?

I have a friend that I've known since I was 7. She was 8. I was having an episode 2 years ago, and I went off on her for her continuously blowing off hanging out because it effected my kids (they would cry because all of a sudden they didn't get to hang out with their best friends- they were like 4 and 5). She would just make other plans. Well, we didn't talk for over a year. I asked her forgiveness and apologized and I let her cool off and left her alone for 2 years. I messaged her 4 months ago and asked how she was doing and we have been hanging out weekly since. She forgave me, but I completely understood if she chose not to.

Are you a forgiving person?

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:22 AM
Replies (31-40):
Trudestevens
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM

No it's hard. But I try people are weak stupid like me I am sure I just try to look at it as weak moment when my sister and brother are in life's battle field you know assume he or she has been morality wounded and needs others to him or her get well healed we all stumble all of us at life 

Redwall
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM

We're only required (by the Bible) to forgive in two circumstances...they don't know what they did is hurtful in which case we need to explain it to them...and if they truly repent and ask for forgiveness. 

If I want to forgive more, that's not true repentance and I'm putting a stamp on bad behavior.

border7305
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Hi Lady, First I fell for your kids but I am happy there ok now. And I am real happy for you and your bff, that's great!!. I had a bff for over 23yrs and been though the lowest to the highest. From our kids growing into adults to deaths in our family's, you name we went though it. But she hurt me soooo bad after 23yrs that I can't fore give. But I cried and miss her but I just kept moving on. And now I had The first grandchild and we could not share it. I'm so happy for you and your bff, Have a happy day, Kim
http://www.cafemom.com/group/107984
LADYxGHOST
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Forgiving and acting like nothing happened are not the same thing.  I forgive people who have done far worse then go off on me, but I choose to no longer have certain persons in my life anymore because of who they are and it isn't worth the risk. I forgive what they did, just not a fool to wecome them back into my life.

bahamamama61
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:28 PM
I forgive:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlohaTink
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:29 PM
I've known my BFF since we were 12. We are 27 now. In high school we had a falling out. We didn't speak for 2 years. Then one day she IM'd me out of the blue. We talked and forgave each other and we are closer than ever. To the point I moved 1700 miles from our hometown because she lived here.

Forgiveness is knowing when to say sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovehimforever
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:32 PM

For me it really depends on the person and what they did. for something like you did yes. but for alot of things No i do not forgive. 

Foxilady
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:41 PM
No I'm don't forgive easily. I stew and hold a grudge for the longest time.
But then again- I'm not easily offended/hurt (unless it my hubby that has caused the hurt) so... It's not like you blow me off one night and I hate you forever.
My sister tried to get my husband deported- that's one instance I have not forgiven (and she hasn't apologized) nor will I forget. I haven't spoken to her in oooh- 3 years.

Your situation sounds extreme. I wonder just what was said to drag things on so looong :(
Junior01a
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Anger and hate grows like a weed.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Do you forgive people that make horrible mistakes? Like going off on you, or getting mad at something so tiny? If they apologize and change. Would you forgive them?

I have a friend that I've known since I was 7. She was 8. I was having an episode 2 years ago, and I went off on her for her continuously blowing off hanging out because it effected my kids (they would cry because all of a sudden they didn't get to hang out with their best friends- they were like 4 and 5). She would just make other plans. Well, we didn't talk for over a year. I asked her forgiveness and apologized and I let her cool off and left her alone for 2 years. I messaged her 4 months ago and asked how she was doing and we have been hanging out weekly since. She forgave me, but I completely understood if she chose not to.

Are you a forgiving person?

johnnys_mom6605
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:57 PM
I can forgive people who hurt me but not so easily if it hurts my kids. Although I wouldn't have went off on someone for blowing me off. I would have just stopped making plans with them and stopped telling my kids about it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)