Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you forgive people that make horrible mistakes? Like going off on you, or getting mad at something so tiny? If they apologize and change. Would you forgive them?

I have a friend that I've known since I was 7. She was 8. I was having an episode 2 years ago, and I went off on her for her continuously blowing off hanging out because it effected my kids (they would cry because all of a sudden they didn't get to hang out with their best friends- they were like 4 and 5). She would just make other plans. Well, we didn't talk for over a year. I asked her forgiveness and apologized and I let her cool off and left her alone for 2 years. I messaged her 4 months ago and asked how she was doing and we have been hanging out weekly since. She forgave me, but I completely understood if she chose not to.

Are you a forgiving person?

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:22 AM
Replies (51-60):
katye43
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

The bible says forgive, not forget.  Forgetting lets you open for someone to do it to you again.

Quoting IBNeaters:

I'm sorry, but where in the Bible does it say we need to forgive in just 2 circumstances.  My ex NEVER even asked for forgiveness and doesn't even believe what he did was wrong.  So I should just hold onto that and be mad forever?  Uh, no!  I should forgive him--even if I never utter the words to him, "I forgive you".  As a previous poster stated, forgiveness isn't for the other person, it's for you.  If I only forgave ppl according to your standards, I'd be an ugly mess.  That doesn't mean I reconcile with my ex, I just have to move on in my heart.  The Bible teaches us to forgive in ALL situations.  I've had a pretty crappy life and have been through a lot of therapy to get to the place I am now and to understand that only through the power of Jesus, am I able to forgive those who have hurt me.  It's a work in progress as my sometimes my blood still boils when I talk to my ex, but I meditate and pray every day.  

Quoting Redwall:

We're only required (by the Bible) to forgive in two circumstances...they don't know what they did is hurtful in which case we need to explain it to them...and if they truly repent and ask for forgiveness. 

If I want to forgive more, that's not true repentance and I'm putting a stamp on bad behavior.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff...go shopping! big smile mini

whisperwhisper
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I never forgive, yet I have a hard time holding a grudge. I'll no longer be mad at someone, but I'll always remember, and keep that scar on the backburner. And I never hesitate to cut someone out of my life.

flibbertygibbet
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM
It's hard to forgive and just let it go, I try hard.
And tend to let people stay in my life long past the time the should be cut loose.
So glad you got your friend back!
sundress_queen
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:40 PM

depends, once one of my friends talked smack on my kids, I still do not speak to this person.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM
yeah most of the time.
Momofmenagerie
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:24 PM
I forgive my family for " transgressions"
Others? Not likely, I do hold grudges....
sunangel803
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Yes, I forgive people, mostly for two reasons. 1. I would want someone to forgive me if I did something that was hurtful. 2. Life is too short to stay focused on negative incidents. Stuff happens, sure, but why stay focused on it when you could be making more positive memories and having fun?
jessifromdenver
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:02 AM
I try to be. It's better for you to forgive, both emotionally and physically. Staying angry is bad for your health. That's the real reason why I think God tells us to forgive (I don't normally get religious publicly, but on this topic I'll make an exception.
brettsmomma
by Tammie on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Im to forgiving. Its a flaw that I cant seem to fix. people take advantage of it as if its a weakness. 

Photo: -Randi.

lilpsmommie2011
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:24 AM
I have had to forgive for a lot of things in my life. I can forgive if the person is truly sorry, but I can never forget.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)