Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you forgive people that make horrible mistakes? Like going off on you, or getting mad at something so tiny? If they apologize and change. Would you forgive them?

I have a friend that I've known since I was 7. She was 8. I was having an episode 2 years ago, and I went off on her for her continuously blowing off hanging out because it effected my kids (they would cry because all of a sudden they didn't get to hang out with their best friends- they were like 4 and 5). She would just make other plans. Well, we didn't talk for over a year. I asked her forgiveness and apologized and I let her cool off and left her alone for 2 years. I messaged her 4 months ago and asked how she was doing and we have been hanging out weekly since. She forgave me, but I completely understood if she chose not to.

Are you a forgiving person?

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:22 AM
Replies (61-70):
elk571
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Well first of all, I don't think 'going off on you or getting mad at something tiny' would be a horrible mistake, but to answer your question:

I do forgive, but am not a very forgiving person for actual big things like lying, cheating, stealing, drug use, etc.  Going off on someone would in most cases be totally forgivable.

That being said- in this case, I think SHE should have apologized to YOU.  Yeah u went off on her, but it twas totally valid, as she was being inconsiderate and your kids were very upset by that as well!

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Yes, I forgive. Forgiveness is for me, not them...if it happens to work out mutually, great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Yes, usually though for something it takes longer than others. I've realized by holding a grudge the only personI'm hurting it myself.

Pinky5511
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:22 AM
I'm VERY forgiving. However I have a limit to how much I'm willing to forgive (also to what degree), and have no problems cutting people completely out after its been crossed.
IamMex11
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:47 AM

yupp, up to a point.

AmosFarkle
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Absolutely.  And if you'll put yourself in the other person's shoes, you will be too.

MEFW
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Maybe or maybe not. Kids remember everything and trust me never want to disappoint them. Now if that individual famous for making promises and not fulfill then no! Otherwise as adults we can muster strength to those that hurts us,yes? For kids sake if still same behavior then answer No!

BethsB
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:39 AM

i agree!

Quoting emmy526:

i'll forgive, but then proceed with caution

beth's B!angel

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Sometimes.  I usually have the event in the back of my mind though.  I do not think I am completely able to just let go.

moryniak
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I forgive but I've learned that forgiveness is not mutually exclusive with reconciliation.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN