Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

TV and baby

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:54 AM
  • 60 Replies
I let my 4 month old watch TV, the baby channel. I feel guilty but I am exhausted sometimes from giving all my attention for hours on end. I luv my girl but motherhood is zapping me dry! How do women do this?!
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM
2 moms liked this
Do you know why babies are not suppose to watch tv? Their brains are developing and they are learning about faces. They make a face at you and watch for your reaction. It is how they learn how they impact the world.
A tv does not do that and it can lead to issues. Kids do not learn proper socialization. They don't learn to read others emotions. Have you ever met anyone that is clueless and doesn't know when to end a conversation, or doesn't understand why people get mad or avoid them? That is often a result of low emotional iq, which is a phenomenon nearly exclusive to young tv watchers.
I teach special Ed and am working on a PhD. I have seen and studied this first hand. My suggestion to you is have your baby watch you. Sing to them as you cook, clean, etc.
CrystalYaris
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:13 AM

We just go through the motions, sweety. I love my son more than anything on this earth. I am a single mom, and have been worn out now for quite some time. He turned 3 in February this year, and he is stuck in the terrible 2's. He is driving me insane. Is it too much for me to ask my parents to keep him for a weekend?

ega23
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:27 AM
4 moms liked this
Well thanks NDADanceMom, I feel much better. I wonder what the research is on babies seeing happy rested faces versus tired pissy faces...
LoriAnn87
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM

huggingMy son Jax is also 4 months and he will watch Tv while he is playing on the floor. He will watch TV whatever his older brother is watching and he will also watch a movie with me, my husband and his brother. But what he really likes is the country music channel because it helps him sleep and calm him down when his cranky or fussing.

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
As long as its not all the time I don't see what the big deal is. My daughter and the lol boy I watch love Mickie clubhouse. They are 7 months and 9 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmomat22
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM

while I agree with you I have to say sometimes a mommy just needs 5 min break and what if no one is home you have to put the baby down right? My son doean't watch tv that much. He is 4 months old I have to go pee sometimes lol. My 6 year old can't hold when I am not their either.  Your statement can make some mommies feel bad even though I see what your saying. I have to admit I am one of them lol. 

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Do you know why babies are not suppose to watch tv? Their brains are developing and they are learning about faces. They make a face at you and watch for your reaction. It is how they learn how they impact the world.
A tv does not do that and it can lead to issues. Kids do not learn proper socialization. They don't learn to read others emotions. Have you ever met anyone that is clueless and doesn't know when to end a conversation, or doesn't understand why people get mad or avoid them? That is often a result of low emotional iq, which is a phenomenon nearly exclusive to young tv watchers.
I teach special Ed and am working on a PhD. I have seen and studied this first hand. My suggestion to you is have your baby watch you. Sing to them as you cook, clean, etc.

RADmomma
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM
I have the tv on for background noise
NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this
But why the tv? Why not next to a mobile or even a bright picture? The tv does harm the brain development of a child. I don't even allow my kids to be in the room if a tv is on under the age of 2. They are not allowed to watch educational programming until 4 and then i watch it with them so they are getting interaction with me.
Kids should be exposed to things like music, nature, human interaction, pets, exploring senses.
I realize not everyone's goal is to raise brilliant children. Some moms just need to worry about paying the bills but i don't think pretending its good parenting to plop your kids in front of the tv does anyone any good. It absolutely stunts social development and not a single person educated in child devlopment would state otherwise.

Quoting newmomat22:

while I agree with you I have to say sometimes a mommy just needs 5 min break and what if no one is home you have to put the baby down right? My son doean't watch tv that much. He is 4 months old I have to go pee sometimes lol. My 6 year old can't hold when I am not their either.  Your statement can make some mommies feel bad even though I see what your saying. I have to admit I am one of them lol. 

Quoting NDADanceMom:

ega23
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM
My sister in law never let her kids watch TV and now whenever they're near one that's on they become entranced. Can't even hear someone saying their name. Guess if my kid turns out socially awkward I can blame the satanic tv.
NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Very glib response. I wasn't telling you religious or superstitious reasons. My youngest is 11 and all 3 of my kids watch tv. I love tv, watch it everyday. I just know it damages the development in certain areas of the brain. These areas do no develop past the age of 5.
My 14 year old son has a 40" flat screen in his room, x box, iMac, iPhone. I have no issues with media. My husband is a tech guy and we have every gadget you can imagine. Even our fridge has an LCD control panel.
My son isn't entranced because he didnt have tv as a baby. He is currently in the pool with his friends. He can watch as much as he wants but would rather socialize.

Quoting ega23:

My sister in law never let her kids watch TV and now whenever they're near one that's on they become entranced. Can't even hear someone saying their name. Guess if my kid turns out socially awkward I can blame the satanic tv.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN