Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How old for 'real' food?

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM
  • 10 Replies
How old were your babies when you started feeding them table food. Or something other than baby food?
Ds will be 8 months old on the 5th, and he is still eating baby food. I've hear that you shouldn't give certain things until they are a year old, peanut butter, eggs, dairy...
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lenashark
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:22 PM
I didn't give my son anything but formula until he was a year, then introduced healthy table foods. Never used baby food.
CjEmmemommy
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I didn't give baby food, my kids nursed until 9-10 months and then started with avocado.. From there they went to other soft or steamed to be mashed foods. Mine didn't get teeth till later so with my first I didn't know what he could eat. I later learned their jaws were strong enough to chew with so I just gave them soft foods or steamed things.. By a year they had a good variety but you are right on choc, strawberries, honey, eggs, peanut butter....

goldilocksbecky
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I never did store-bought baby food.  I did homemade right from the start.  I started with purees and just increased the texture and added more things as he got older.  Depending on what the rest of your family is eating, you can just put it in the blender, mash it with a fork, etc.  Avoid things that are spicy and take out his portion before you add much in the way of salt and stuff.  Most fruits and veggies can prepared very easily for a baby.  You can also make extra servings of things like steamed veggies and freeze them in ice trays to use later.  Good luck.

SpnFulOfSugar
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM
We never did baby food. Started table food at 10 1/2 months.
Jennifer63080
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Wic and his pediatrician recommended baby food and those teething biscuits. (I take both of their advice with a grain of salt though) I think it's so he can practice chewing, but he's only got two teeth on bottom

Quoting lenashark:

I didn't give my son anything but formula until he was a year, then introduced healthy table foods. Never used baby food.
lenashark
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM
My dads a pediatrician, so I just listened to him. He used his jaw muscles on teething rings and such, then he learned how to view when he was one. He's now six and has no issues from it. I think it benefitted his digestive system.

Quoting Jennifer63080:

Wic and his pediatrician recommended baby food and those teething biscuits. (I take both of their advice with a grain of salt though) I think it's so he can practice chewing, but he's only got two teeth on bottom

Quoting lenashark:

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM

My dd 2 is 7 months and gets some table food. We have steamed veg. Almost every nite. Some meats if she can't chew I just put some in the baby bullet. I did not use the store baby food.

goldilocksbecky
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Until a year, almost all of their nutritional needs should be met through breastmilk or formula.  Introducing table foods is more about them practicing getting food to their mouth, working their mouths and tongues in new ways, experimenting with new flavors and textures.  At this point, solids are more about fun and experimenting and are not necessary from a nutritional standpoint. 

Even when they give you the OK for "babyfood", that doesn't mean it has to come from a jar.  You can certainly make your own.  You don't have to buy banana baby food when you can mash up a banana and thin it a little with breastmilk or formula if you need to.  Same with peaches, peas, sweet potatoes, greenbeans, etc.

Quoting Jennifer63080:

Quoting lenashark:

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM
At that age it is probably ok to start giving your baby some table food... Keep dairy and eggs very limited until a year if at all and no nuts. Keep meats shredded or in tiny pieces and just mash the veggies and fruit
lovebugs_mom906
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM
My son never liked any baby food, so we started around 7-8 months with softer fruits and veggies that we mashed for him. He's almost 3 now and loves nearly all veggies and fruits. He's my healthiest eater by far.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)