Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

car packing help

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 39 Replies

We leave soon for a trip, I was planning on taking out the middle row of seats in our van and just using the back row. Well, can't do it. So we have to make it work with both seats in there... We have a playpen, possibly baby travel swing (i REALLY wanted to take the bouncer instead since he prefers that the most but idt it'll fit) a stroller, rock and play sleeper, clothing for all 5 of us for 4-5 days, bag of toiltetries and such for everyone, some toys, sand toys and. probably a few other small things im not thinking of. Any tips on packing it into the back of a minivan?!

ETA: The playpen is not for my youngest, he sleeps in the sleeper but won't sit in there during the day while awake so we need a swing OR bouncer to put him in during the day so we aren't holding him the entire time because he won't lay anywhere but in one of those.  

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Allie4
by New Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Where ever you are going can you rent anything from there  of maybe get a ***** can n ot think of what they are called but you basially place it on top of the van and pack it and it works real well.  good luk!!!!  all of mine are school age so it has been a few years sorry could not be more help. 

kmencl3210
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM

We're staying with family so we have to bring everything we need :/ We don't have the money right now for one of those (the last time I looked the hard ones were $150+), I know what you're talking about though lol. We borrowed one for our move from my aunt, but it's a cloth one and it's supposed to rain, everything would get wet so I haven't asked to borrow it again.

Quoting Allie4:

Where ever you are going can you rent anything from there  of maybe get a ***** can n ot think of what they are called but you basially place it on top of the van and pack it and it works real well.  good luk!!!!  all of mine are school age so it has been a few years sorry could not be more help. 

Tipsen
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I suggest only taking one swing, bouncer or rock n play sleeper. You don't want to be cramped the entire time. I know I have rode planes enough times when my son was able to ride as a lap infant and we fit all of both of our clothes ect in a carry on and diaper bag. I pretty much have packing down to a science lol. Also rol your clothes instead of folding them. U can always unroll them and stack them once u get there (I hate using hotel drawers so I just stack them in my suit case). Gl
kmencl3210
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:58 AM

We'll only take the swing or bouncer, if the bouncer can't fit at all we'll end up taking the swing. He won't sit in the sleeper at all unless he's asleep lol and we need somewhere to sit him down :/ I got all of their clothes and stuff into one bag. I rolled them and set them into ourfits and used quart size bags, one for each outfit, squeezed out as much air as I possibly could and then fit all their clothes into a small-ish duffel bag that will probably go behind the drivers seat, I hope lol. I think the biggest issue is the play pen and stroller cause theyre kinda bulky ish and awkward? but we really need both of them. OF course it's been raining here for days so I haven't even been able to do a trial run of what is packed. WE're staying with family so no hotel drawers ;)

Quoting Tipsen:

I suggest only taking one swing, bouncer or rock n play sleeper. You don't want to be cramped the entire time. I know I have rode planes enough times when my son was able to ride as a lap infant and we fit all of both of our clothes ect in a carry on and diaper bag. I pretty much have packing down to a science lol. Also rol your clothes instead of folding them. U can always unroll them and stack them once u get there (I hate using hotel drawers so I just stack them in my suit case). Gl

jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM

If you are stayin gin a hotel/motel, a lot of them rent cribs/playpens.. so you could probably leave that at home.. why do you need the rock and play sleep and the travel swing? I would pick one of those things to bring and that's really it.. as for fit.. it really depends.. doyou need to get the stroller out before you get to your destination? if not, and if it can tuck under the seat, that is where I would put that.. leaving room for some of the other things.. really it's all about getting creative!!

We just got back from vacation in my mom's cadillac.. my parents sat in the front, I sat between my two children in their carseats in the back.. (the Srx v6 style vehicle, so it's really small!).. and had to pack all our stuff into the open hatch part!!! Needless to say, it was pretty tight!

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM

If you are taking a playpen then you don't need another item to set him in. and he can sleep in the playpen also. Since you are visiting family you can get away with just a couple days of clothing and do laundry frequently.

kmencl3210
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM

We're staying with family and there's no kids there at all so anything w  need we have to bring >.< he sleeps in his sleeper but won't sit in it any other time so have to bring something for him to sit it. Wet  won't need the stroller but it's too big for under the seats I think I'm gonna slide the sleeper under there though. Part of the problem is we have to leave the floor between the second and third row clear so ds5 can get in and out and then the spAce next to the second row so we can get ds in and out, otherwise there'd be plenty of room lol. Their toys are in their backpacks so they can go on the seats next to them, I had them in a bucket before I posted. That saves some room now

Quoting jessi2girls:

If you are stayin gin a hotel/motel, a lot of them rent cribs/playpens.. so you could probably leave that at home.. why do you need the rock and play sleep and the travel swing? I would pick one of those things to bring and that's really it.. as for fit.. it really depends.. doyou need to get the stroller out before you get to your destination? if not, and if it can tuck under the seat, that is where I would put that.. leaving room for some of the other things.. really it's all about getting creative!!

We just got back from vacation in my mom's cadillac.. my parents sat in the front, I sat between my two children in their carseats in the back.. (the Srx v6 style vehicle, so it's really small!).. and had to pack all our stuff into the open hatch part!!! Needless to say, it was pretty tight!

kmencl3210
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM

The playpens for my other DS. My youngest one cant sleep in it. He sleeps in his sleeper but won't sit in there otherwise. I managed to squeeze all the kids clothes into a small duffel bag so it's not too bad. I'm going to put that behind the drivers seat, unless I can squeeze it under the middle row but I don't think there's enough room under :/

Quoting Bmat:

If you are taking a playpen then you don't need another item to set him in. and he can sleep in the playpen also. Since you are visiting family you can get away with just a couple days of clothing and do laundry frequently.

kidlover2
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM
I would only take a stroller, the beds and one entertainment chair either the swing or the bouncy chair. If you're on vacation then family can hold and entertain the baby.
kmencl3210
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM

We're only taking the one, hopefully the bouncer but if it doesn't fit then the swing. We're going to see DH's grandma so she won't really be able to hold him much and she's the only one there really. 

Quoting kidlover2:

I would only take a stroller, the beds and one entertainment chair either the swing or the bouncy chair. If you're on vacation then family can hold and entertain the baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)