Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you think this is cruel to do to a child?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM
  • 85 Replies
1 mom liked this
My mil thinks I am being cruel to my 3 year old son. He is always asking for something to eat (just about 15 he asked for celery and peanut butter with "ants" raisins) well he took literally 1 bite and was done. He then wanted spaghetti o's for lunch. Fine but I made him take 10 bites of the celery first. I always do this because otherwise he will only take one bite of something and be done. Mil thinks I should give him any food he wants "and it isn't right to deprive him of food and it is cruel" . Do you think this is cruel of me to make him eat some of the food he already asked for before moving onto a new food? Btw he took 10 bites of his celery then only took 1 of the spaghetti o lol
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM
10 moms liked this
Hell no! If i give my kids something to et that THEY asked for, they better eat it. And they wont go off and play until they have at least eaten a healthy amount of it
AmiJanell
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM
3 moms liked this
Not cruel at all... I do the same. If my son asks for something he is expected to eat it. And if its a meal and he doesn't eat it, then it's reheated and offered again later. If he took 1 bite of his meal there would be no snacks later... Not until the meal he was offered is gone.
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Hahahaha, my kids have 24/7 access to all foods in my house, no asking is required. Bt if they take something and dont finish it, that is what they eat for the rest of the day. I am not made of money. Hell no.

They used to try this as toddlers, but it stopped real quick, maybe after a week.

My friends dd is almost 7 and does this all day long and she just gives her kid whatever she asks for whenever she aks for it, sh ewill take 2 bites of pasta and then eat a bag of chips. She will ask for cereal in the am, take 1-2 bites and then have have snacks like roce krispies or something else. I dont play those kind of games.

My oldest dd is 11 and her eyes are bigger then her belly always. Well a few weeks ago, she was lik eI want the rest of the garlic bread, no one touch it. We told her to worry about what was on her plate first. So when she was done and took the last of it, she took 2 bites and aid she was full. I didnt care I made her eat, my dad was still hungry and would have eaten it, but he figured if she wanted it, she could have it. She would have wasted it after she bite licked and mauled it to death.

Something she did often. Dont think she will do it again though. lol

proudmommy690
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this
No that's not mean, he asked for it, he can eat it before saying he wants something else.
my4kids274
by Drill Sergeant Mommy on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

When my kids were that age I found it was easier to just start out by giving  them smaller portions.  If they were still hungry there was plenty there for them to eat more of it. 

No I do not think you are being cruel. 

mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM

If they ask for it, they need to eat it!  I'd just keep offering it until it was gone.  I think all kids go through that stage.  It'll drive you bonkers if you start catering to their every whim.  ;)

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids know my rule is that if they ask for it, they have to finish it. I really hold them to this at meals. If it is something that I know they don't love, then they at least have to eat one bite of everhthing, which always leads to them eating almost everything on their plate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StrangeDays
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely not. Regardless of if you have money for more or not, wasting food is never cool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dingysfamily
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Apparently he 'wanted' the celery & pb ... I see nothing wrong with you making him eat more of that before giving him something else he 'wanted'! 

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM

NO not cruel..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)