Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

what do you consider spoiled?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM
  • 46 Replies
My parents have full legal custody of my dad's half sister. She's been living with them for 3 years now. Well yesterday was her 15th birthday. I think my parents went totally over board for her birthday (like they always do). They got her a season pass to six flags ($70), a $25 prepaid master card, a really nice purse ($30), 5 pair of arepostal underwear ($25), a pair of nike sport socks ($16), ear buds to match her ipod ($12), 5 new outfits from aeropostal, old navy and jcp, and an assortment of her favorite candy. The are taking her to the lake this weekend and next week she is going to six flags with her best friend, older sister and her boyfriend.

My parents are also the sole caregiver for my 10 year old nephew and 12 year old niece. They never come anywhere near that on their birthday. For my nieces 12th birthday she got a $10 itunes gift card for her mp3 player and fuzzy socks. My nephew got an xbox game for his 10th birthday.

I personally think they favor her and spoil her. She gets everything she wants. She has more clothes than she could ever wear, she has a cell phone, ipod, her own laptop, a 12 speed bike, roller blades, a huge selection of make up, nail polish, body lotion, body spray and hair bands. Where as my niece and newphew have but few clothes maybe enough for a week or so, they have an xbox and each a bike and a few othet personal items.

Am I wrong in thinking they spoil her?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Well I am a spoiled child, in fact it is my nickname. I was the only child for 7 years, first grandchild on both sides and first girl born in my family since my mom.

It does sound like spoiling in a way, but mostly I would be concerned with the niece and nephew getting nothing, while she gets everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Wait, you said caregiver. Does that mean like they are their guardians or they baby-sit them during the day? The niece and nephew I mean.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Sole caregiver im assuming means guardianship custody. And yes, she is spoiled

Quoting Mommy4-27-08:

Wait, you said caregiver. Does that mean like they are their guardians or they baby-sit them during the day? The niece and nephew I mean.
yryssa1
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
What is the sitch on why they have full custody? Could they be spoiling her out of guilt? It does sound like a bit much for her 15th bday. I could see the going all out for sweet 16. And here I thought my daughter was spoiled lol
LAXmom21
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Compared to the other 2 she does get more. But I don't think that is too much for her birthday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM
How is her attitude about all of it? Entitled? Mellow? .... that would be what sets my view to whether or mot she is spoiled. I do think its bull that the other two don't have jack though. That is favoritism on their parts. I do think that is wrong.

Was completely "spoiled". Not because I always wanted but because my mom always wanted me to have. I never and still do not care about materialistic junk. That was just her way of trying to make up for all the bad. I just smiled and said thank you and appreciated it. I knew I was very fortunate as many are not.
Kageegirl
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM
She posted her list on the fridge a month ago so everyone would know what to get her. Top of her list was a dog, ipad mini and a season pass to six flags. Her list was two pages long. Crazy!

Quoting Rachael-Dawn:

How is her attitude about all of it? Entitled? Mellow? .... that would be what sets my view to whether or mot she is spoiled. I do think its bull that the other two don't have jack though. That is favoritism on their parts. I do think that is wrong.

Was completely "spoiled". Not because I always wanted but because my mom always wanted me to have. I never and still do not care about materialistic junk. That was just her way of trying to make up for all the bad. I just smiled and said thank you and appreciated it. I knew I was very fortunate as many are not.

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Well i guess she'll become another self entitled adult........JMHO
A-nony-mous
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:24 PM

A lot of that definitely sounds too much, though I discount the clothes because I know a lot of parents who basically use birthdays and Christmas as an excuse to buy clothes they would've bought anyway because your kid needs underwear and socks and pants. That's part of your duty as a parent so if they hadn't given it to her on her birthday they would've just had to buy it the day or two after if she needs more of them. 

But all the rest is way too much. They could've easily ended off with the Six Flags pass. I get a yearly pass to the museum here and that's all I ask for and all I get and it's definitely more than enough. I don't expect lots of things on top of that. Ridiculous.

What about getting together with your nephew and niece and having an intervention? And raising the issue that maybe they're doing this because they feel guilty about her actual parents failing her? And that it's not fair and a double standard and really just kind of ridiculous. One child should not be getting $200+ worth of stuff on her birthday while her sibling gets a crappy $15 gift.  

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM
I provide just as much to my kids. Why not? I can afford it. They must do chores, get good grades and be respectful. They are great kids and having nice things doesn't change it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)