Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Moms

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM
  • 18 Replies

So, I'm a sahm who doesn't like to cook and clean and it's starting effecting my marriage and family. How do I convince myself to want to do these things to make my marriage happier and family? 

Any other moms think the same way? 

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I HATE cleaning. So i crank my music and sing while i do it. Or call a friend and talk while i clean.
RelaxedMom2-3
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Even WAHM's have to cook and clean. Why did you get married and have kids if you really hated those things? It's one thing doing it for yourself and another doing it for a whole family.

Bertha21
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I am the same way! My husband helps A LOT! I am just lucky :) How is it effecting your marriage?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I hate doing that stuff also...but I just DO IT... because it needs to be done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
connorsmom2009
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Quoting Bertha21:

I am the same way! My husband helps A LOT! I am just lucky :) How is it effecting your marriage?

By husband getting tired of the mess.. And me just not wanting to deal with it it's stressing him out

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I hate cleaning also but i have to do it. I cannot live in a dirty, nasty home (im a clean freak).

Cooking i hate cooking also. My husband does most of the cooking.

connorsmom2009
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM

BUMP!

Bertha21
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:19 PM
tell him to help out! Then he can help less and less until you get used to it. Did he know this before you got married?

Quoting connorsmom2009:

Quoting Bertha21:

By husband getting tired of the mess.. And me just not wanting to deal with it it's stressing him out

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
connorsmom2009
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM

It's more or less after I had kids

Quoting Bertha21:

tell him to help out! Then he can help less and less until you get used to it. Did he know this before you got married?

Quoting connorsmom2009:

Quoting Bertha21:

A-nony-mous
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Cleaning is just something you have to do. Find ways to make it easier. 

- Do less more often. If you keep on top of tiny jobs for 10-20 minutes each night then it doesn't pile up into a 5 hour job on the weekend.
  - Look into more storage options for toys and laundry to make it faster. For instance, we always had toys all over the floor in the TV room even though we had lots of storage bins in their room and other parts of the house. Put a big single toybox in the TV room and now I can just toss all the toys in there and have my floor back. Much faster than making multiple trips back and forth.
 - Get the kids involved if they're old enough. Even a 2 year old can help pick up their toys. Sets a good example and precedent. Older kids should take on entire jobs themselves like unloading/loading hte dishes, vaccuuming a room, throwing laundry in or moving it to the dryer, etc. 
 -  Put on some music or even the TV to entertain you while you clean. You don't need to do it in silence and boring-ness.

Cooking...

I hate cooking but I've found ways to make it tolerable. Have you looked into a slow cooker (crockpot) at all? It's really easy to make tasty things that way and you just dump it in the morning and it's ready for dinnertime. I really recommend one.

Do recipes YOU enjoy. Yeah sometimes I get lots of moaning but guess what? I'm the cook, I get to decide. If I don't enjoy what I'm making then I'm likely to not bother and just use KD instead.  

Again, get your kids involved too. Maybe have everyone assigned a day when they at least help out with the cooking, even if it's just helping to crack eggs into a bowl or whisk something. They're fun to have in the kitchen and it does feel like you're at least getting SOME help and not being left alone to make everyone dinner like a servant. My son helps out in the kitchen once or twice a week and he gets to pick the meal. It's not always something I like but it doesn't matter because it gets him interested in helping out and preparing food and so I help him make it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN