Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Mobile Photo

Hello. I am 33 years old and live in Charlotte, North Carolina. My husband and I are originally from Saint Louis and we have been together since 2010. Our first child, our daughter, Ella, was born January 23, 2013. She is amazing! I used to work as a Clinical Research Coordinator but now I am an at home mommy. My husband works 12-14 hours per day currently, so I often get lonely and overwhelmed. Ella is developing beautifully and is a healthy 5 month old, but I am having a lot of difficulty getting her to sleep regularly. I carry the burden of always being up with her and honestly, I am exhausted. I am seeking any friendly advice or suggestions that may have helped anyone else. I love my daughter and family so very much and I look forward to chatting and learning from other amazing mothers!
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Replies (11-16):
Rhenee
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Only one or two short twenty minute naps.

Quoting KaylinC03:

Welcome! I live in North Carolina as well. :) 

How many naps (and how long?) does she take during the day?

brettsmomma
by Tammie on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM

i found that a strict routine helped. Dinner, play time, dessert, bath(try using lilac scented soap) then pj's and a movie with mom then bed. 

Photo: -Randi.

Olivia25704
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Hi I'm Jill, I'm expecting my first child in about 6 weeks via adoption, but I have helped with all my nieces and nephews and there's a lot! One thing that worked for my niece was the cereal, mix it up like directed and then add half jar of the fruit baby food(or whatever there favorite is) and feed that to her right before bed and maybe just a little milk(formula) just as something to have as a drink BC it is oatmeal-like. That worked really well for my niece and she was terrible with sleeping. Good luck!
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM

5 months is actually too early for giving solids. The American Academy of Pediatrics now even recommends waiting until at least 6 months when babies guts are more mature for handling foods. Food does NOT make babies sleep longer at all. This is an old wives tale and nothing more. 

Quoting RachelleGayle:

Hi Rhenee! I am in Massachusetts :-) The nights get so hard and so exhausting. You are not alone!! Are you breast feeding or formula? We ALL seek advice in this area!! The best thing to do is trial and error to find what will work for you and your baby. Here is what has worked for me and mine: (I breast feed) Sweet potato, avacado or carrots. 5 months is not too young for her to try some 'real' food. I have always stayed away from the recommended 'cereals'. Give a filling helping of one of the three things I mentioned not to long before bed. All three are nutrient rich and take a long time to digest so those annoying hunger pangs that wake them up will take longer to come back :-) In my experience avacado has been the most effective. Also having some sort of 'whiite noise' going on seems to really help. Remember when they were in the womb they heard all sorts of stuff! A fan running, an airconditioner or a white noise machine. Best of luck and I am happy to discuss more or give more suggestions!

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I would try to get her to nap every 90 minutes throughout the day so that she is not overtired. Sleep begets sleep. If babies get too overtired they won't sleep. Good luck!

RachelleGayle
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

The advice I gave was pediatrician, lactation consultant  and WIC recommended. To give a high nutrient easily digested food to aide in staying asleep longer- not a cereal. I was only passing along the advice that I was given.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN