Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What's that?

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM
  • 24 Replies

So it's the 4th but raining so we probably won't see fireworks. We weren't going to let that stop us from cooking out though especially since it's also dh birthday. The neighbor kids came over to say hi and they saw the pesto zucchini and steak we were grilling and said that looks gross and didn't even know what a zucchini was. Just wondering if zucchini is such an odd veggie or if your kids would recognize it? lol

update 8/23

I got this huge zucchini at the farmers market and decided to make zucchini bread. Just half of it made 4 loafs. I took some of it over to the neighbors while it was still hot from the oven and all the children loved it. They asked me to bring them more. lol

My ds who won't eat zuchinni any other way liked it too. So I guess sometimes it's presentation.

It's Cassandra Cat! 

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM

She knows what it is even though she will not eat it.  We are not a big zucchini family but we have worked to teach her all the different veggies and fruits in world.  We will go to one of the more expensive grocery stores just to show her the more exotic produce.   People were amazed that at age 2/3 she could correctlly identify things.  I have only had zucchini in a bread application, never grilled.

taniamorse85
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Wow.  No, it's not unusual around here.

whoodathunk
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine only eat it raw with salad dressing.  Looks delish to me!

taKENheart
by Flovely on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I was never served zucchini as a child and not entirely sure I could have identified it at a young age.  I do prepare zucchini now and really like it.  My kids know what it is but won't eat it...they are not kids anymore really,lol.
Also I just fell in love with pesto recently and I think your meal sounds wonderful!

AMR320
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM
We are growing zucchini in our garden so yes my kids know what it is. They like it raw best but will eat it cooked sometimes too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:21 PM
I have never had it raw. Maybe I'll try it that way some time.

Quoting AMR320:

We are growing zucchini in our garden so yes my kids know what it is. They like it raw best but will eat it cooked sometimes too.

RADmomma
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:22 PM
She wouldn't recognize it like that but once you told her what it was she would. She's just never seen it prepared like that.
liels898
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I made a bunch of grilled zucchini today too, they're a hit so far. Although my friend's toddler asked what it was, then happily tried a tiny bite. I think she's addicted now because she keeps asking for more zuccy! 

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Yeah I told them what it was and they still didn't know. Said they'd never even heard of it. They are 7 & 9. I'm not criticizing I just wondered if other kids would know what it was. Lol

Quoting RADmomma:

She wouldn't recognize it like that but once you told her what it was she would. She's just never seen it prepared like that.

RADmomma
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM
My girl is a huge veggie lover!!

Quoting angelachristine:

Yeah I told them what it was and they still didn't know. Said they'd never even heard of it. They are 7 & 9. I'm not criticizing I just wondered if other kids would know what it was. Lol

Quoting RADmomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)