Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Calling all smart moms

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM
  • 12 Replies

Explain this to me: how as a SMALL BUSINESS OWNER can I be forced to pay union dues or fair share dues?

Back story: I am a licensed daycare provider in MN. There has been this damn scummy union(AFSCME) who has been pushing for a daycare union in MN for more than 10 years. They even came to my door trying to TRICK me into signing my name for " more info" when really they were trying to illegally get ya to sign yes to a union! They were caught!

Well now it was unconstitutionally passed that it will be put to a vote by licenced AND non legally licensed daycares ONLY if they have families on child care assistance or have in the past 12 months.

Well shit! Its been way longer than that since I have had a family on assistance. I've been licenced for 10 years. Doesn't matter. I have no say in MY business.

This is what the union is all about. The damn child care assistance. Oh they proclaim its for the families...for the providers. NO ITS NOT! They will take dues from the ccap payments. They will push for higher benefits which will make it harder for families to.qualify.

Furthermore, there will be less daycare options with closings and denials of families on ccap to avoid being forced on the union. And I just found out about the fair share fees. Those not in the union will have to.pay 85%.

HOW THE FUCK CAN A UNION FORCE A SMALL BUSINESS OWNER TO PAY IF THEY HAVENT JOINED? Its not like I work for an employer! I work for MYSELF! I have no vote and I'm forced into this? Fuck you AFSCME!

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Yeah I  would consult a lawyer on this matter.  It is just you running this daycare no other workers aside from husband helping so you should not be forced to join or pay for something you do not use.   That would upset me alot.  It is a group of people who want to make money

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:29 PM
I wish others could see this. They are buying into the " we will give you a voice" and higher ccap payments. They ignore the lying and scamming.They don't care that they are speaking for everyone because not all providers get a vote....that's the most obvious red flag right there! I've worked so hard to get to where I'm at :(

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yeah I  would consult a lawyer on this matter.  It is just you running this daycare no other workers aside from husband helping so you should not be forced to join or pay for something you do not use.   That would upset me alot.  It is a group of people who want to make money

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:33 PM
It was other providers that pushed for it. Find another line of work if it doesn't meet your needs anymore.
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM
No way! Not after 10 years. Ive put so much into building my business ....FUCK THAT! Esoecially now that i just had a baby. I want to be home with him! I love my daycare and all my families. I love being at home.I and many others will fight those bastards.

And you are wrong...it wasn't "providers". Its the damn union. They have been trying to weasle their way in for.years....now that we have all Democrats in office and Mark Dayton ( who traded votes with AFCME for support) they have passed it and are playing on un informed greedy providers. Its apparent to most

THAT is why the vote is limited.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

It was other providers that pushed for it. Find another line of work if it doesn't meet your needs anymore.

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM
I didn't say voted. I said pushed for it. I saw the news and all the providers celebrating.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

No way! Not after 10 years. Ive put so much into building my business ....FUCK THAT! Esoecially now that i just had a baby. I want to be home with him! I love my daycare and all my families. I love being at home.I and many others will fight those bastards.

And you are wrong...it wasn't "providers". Its the damn union. They have been trying to weasle their way in for.years....now that we have all Democrats in office and Mark Dayton ( who traded votes with AFCME for support) they have passed it and are playing on un informed greedy providers. Its apparent to most

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Godgaveme4
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Unions suck and are money hungry criminals.
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:51 PM
You do realize I'm not the only provider who

is in opposition to this right? There were many more protesting it! There are 11,000 licensed in home daycares in MN. Who knows how many legally un licensed. ( in MN you can care for ONE family legally un licensed and take ccap payments)

No it wasn't "all the providers " in MN celebrating. You know what? I'm done arguing. I am asking mothers to help me to find out about the legal side to this when it comes to small business owners and union dues. If you don't have any then thank you and have a good day

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I didn't say voted. I said pushed for it. I saw the news and all the providers celebrating.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

MessedUpMama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM

If you don't get payments from DHS or where ever for they kids you watch, will you still have to pay the Union Dues? The way it is here in my state, if the family is getting assistance of some kind and get some of their childcare paid for through assistance then you, as a daycare provider, will pay the "fair share" union dues whether or not you join the union. However, if you don't have any clients who get childcare assistance you won't have to pay at all.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Just got notice from the union on what everything means and they explained the fair share dues. If you have ccap clients you are forced to join. If not and you choose not to join you have to pay fair share dues.

Quoting MessedUpMama:

If you don't get payments from DHS or where ever for they kids you watch, will you still have to pay the Union Dues? The way it is here in my state, if the family is getting assistance of some kind and get some of their childcare paid for through assistance then you, as a daycare provider, will pay the "fair share" union dues whether or not you join the union. However, if you don't have any clients who get childcare assistance you won't have to pay at all.

emeraldangel20
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm clueless on this but it sounds awful. here's a bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)