Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is this rude, or is it just me? EDITED TO ADD #3

Posted by   + Show Post

I stopped at the grocery store this morning with my 9 month old daughter to pick up a loaf of bread.  I got in the check out line behind two people.  The lady right in front of me had a cart load of groceries.  So I stood there in line, holding my daughter and a loaf of bread waiting for my turn.

I thought it was inconsiderate to not offer to let me ahead of her.  If I find myself in a similar situation I always offer, even if I have my kids and the person behind me is alone.  To me, it's just common courtesy.

FYI. There was only 1 line open, no express line.  She absolutely knew I was there because she had to go around me to grab a magazine from the rack behind me.

ETA.  Wow.  I really didn't expect that I would be in the minority on this one.  I thought that letting someone ahead of you in line was just common courtesy, like holding the door for the person behind you.  

I'm really surprised that some of you think I was rude by expecting to be allowed to go ahead.  First of all, I didn't actually "expect" it (I've learned a long time ago that expecting people to be considerate and polite is a waste of time), I just thought it was inconsiderate. Secondly, even if I did expect it, I don't see how that would be rude.  I mean, expecting people to be kind and considerate of others is rude?  Hmmmm.  Perhaps if I had said something to her, that would have been rude, but I simply waited patiently in line with my daughter.

I do get that her time is just as important as mine, but honestly what is 30 seconds to anyone?

And, for further clarification I am not a spoiled, entitled brat.  I'm just someone who was raised to go out of my way to help others and am sometimes surprised that not everyone was taught common courtesy.

ETA #2.

Well apparently I am in the minority on this one.  I honestly thought this was a common act of courtesy.  I do it all of the time and others have done it for me. 

You can continue to believe that I am a spoiled, entitled brat.  But just remember, the next time you are stuck in traffic, trying to merge and someone lets you in it might be me.  Or if you are running through a downpour towards the bank, and someone waits an extra 5 seconds to hold the door for you, it might be me.

ETA #3.

Well, I'm glad to see I have a couple of supporters out there.  I guess we just look at the world a little differently that the majority of people.  

To those who resorted to name calling (you know who you are), all I have to say is "how rude!"

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Replies (161-170):
LDavis33
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I was patient.  I didn't get in a huff or mumble under my breathe.  I waited in line, like I always do.  I was raised to do this basically as an automatic response and was curious as to whether others felt the way that I do.

Quoting shell.bell:

Everyone else has to wait too. She even had to wait to check out with people in front of her. Not her fault she had a full cart. Patience goes a long ways. When I only have a couple items and someone else is in front of me with a full cart or even two, or someone is taking awhile because of coupons or WIC checks or anything else, I never think if they are going to let me through first, I always say to myself that I don't mind waiting. I am a very patient person in a store. Even with kids with me I don't mind waiting and I have 4 of them. I understand that you wish people would think about letting others in first if they only have a couple things, but remember patience.

LDavis33
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I really don't see how it is rude to think that it is inconsiderate.  I mean, I would be willing to bet that 95% of the women on here who are calling me entitled and selfish have thought the same thing when they've been in that same position.  It would have been rude if I had called the lady out right there in the grocery store, or mumbled about her being a selfish brat within earshot.  But I didn't I patiently waited my turn.

Quoting supermom0094:

It is rude of you to think someones just going to let you go ahead. I've had people tell me to go ahead of them when I only had a few things and I say no Thank you. 

heather406
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Not bothering to read replies but I ALWAYS let someone go ahead of me if I see they have a few things and I have a cartful.  Courtesy...apparently a rarity nowadays! 

CountryMomma123
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:27 AM

get over yourself. 

opal10161973
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM

She could have been nicer, but in this "Me, first" society, you can't expect it.  Sad.  I let people go in front of me all the time in that situation.  It's better to be us, than them.

Godgaveme4
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:34 AM
I am curious about this. How many people behind you do you let go? 1?2?3? Where do you draw the line?

Let's say you come up behind me and my big cart of groceries with you loaf of bread or gallon of milk. I see you and smile but do not offer for you to go ahead of me. Do you consider me to be inconsiderate? What if you are unaware that I let someone, the person checking out in front of me now with their milk, go ahead of me? Should I let everyone with just one item go in front of me? Where is the line drawn?

Courtesy s not rare. I see it everyday. I show it to others. I just never expect it in return because I do it for others.

Quoting heather406:

Not bothering to read replies but I ALWAYS let someone go ahead of me if I see they have a few things and I have a cartful.  Courtesy...apparently a rarity nowadays! 

loretta6262
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:40 AM

You are not alone. People with any manners will let someone with a single item cut in front of them out of common courtesy here all the time. That's the way I was raised and the way most of the people I know were raised. Then again maybe it's just a southern thing.

Natasha0704
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:19 AM
By saying you thought it was inconsiderate of her not to offer, it means you were actually expecting her to do so. So she didn't, it wasn't inconsiderate of her. She isn't obligated to do so, so if she doesn't, she can't be called inconsiderate. When someone does offer, then you can comment about their character about how nice they were.
LADYxGHOST
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:35 AM

I have let people ahead of me and have been let ahead of people many times, however I do not always do this and it isn't always done with me. You went to the store just to buy a loaf a of bread and made a choice to hold your child rather then put the kid in a stroller or cart, not sure why that has anything to do with the person in lin in front of you. It seems very inconciderate of you to be so upset by her not letting you go first that you went on line to vent about it.  You are either very petty or have no life.

Ellybella2617
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:44 AM
YOU ARE RIGHT!! I was taught the same thing, it is common courtesy i completely get what your saying it freakin does not hurt a person to let someone with just a item or two go ahead especially if they have a cart full of stuff! for those that called u names like spoiled they need to pull the stick out of their as#! They are the brats for being snobs..taught that they don't owe anyone anything seems like! No manners or sympathy what cold hearted people!

Quoting LDavis33:

I stopped at the grocery store this morning with my 9 month old daughter to pick up a loaf of bread.  I got in the check out line behind two people.  The lady right in front of me had a cart load of groceries.  So I stood there in line, holding my daughter and a loaf of bread waiting for my turn.

I thought it was inconsiderate to not offer to let me ahead of her.  If I find myself in a similar situation I always offer, even if I have my kids and the person behind me is alone.  To me, it's just common courtesy.

FYI. There was only 1 line open, no express line.  She absolutely knew I was there because she had to go around me to grab a magazine from the rack behind me.

ETA.  Wow.  I really didn't expect that I would be in the minority on this one.  I thought that letting someone ahead of you in line was just common courtesy, like holding the door for the person behind you.  

I'm really surprised that some of you think I was rude by expecting to be allowed to go ahead.  First of all, I didn't actually "expect" it (I've learned a long time ago that expecting people to be considerate and polite is a waste of time), I just thought it was inconsiderate. Secondly, even if I did expect it, I don't see how that would be rude.  I mean, expecting people to be kind and considerate of others is rude?  Hmmmm.  Perhaps if I had said something to her, that would have been rude, but I simply waited patiently in line with my daughter.

I do get that her time is just as important as mine, but honestly what is 30 seconds to anyone?

And, for further clarification I am not a spoiled, entitled brat.  I'm just someone who was raised to go out of my way to help others and am sometimes surprised that not everyone was taught common courtesy.

ETA #2.

Well apparently I am in the minority on this one.  I honestly thought this was a common act of courtesy.  I do it all of the time and others have done it for me. 

You can continue to believe that I am a spoiled, entitled brat.  But just remember, the next time you are stuck in traffic, trying to merge and someone lets you in it might be me.  Or if you are running through a downpour towards the bank, and someone waits an extra 5 seconds to hold the door for you, it might be me.

ETA #3.

Well, I'm glad to see I have a couple of supporters out there.  I guess we just look at the world a little differently that the majority of people.  

To those who resorted to name calling (you know who you are), all I have to say is "how rude!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)