Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Sleepovers

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:53 PM
  • 46 Replies
1 mom liked this

When your kids have sleepovers, how much do you participate? 

Do you think how much you participate varies for boy sleepovers vs. girl sleepovers?

Would you ever allow a mixed boy/girl sleepover?

What are your favorite activities for your kids' sleepovers?

If you don't like hosting or letting your kid go to sleepovers you're a communist. No, I'm just kidding, but why aren't you a fan? 

Any funny or terrible sleepover anecdotes?

Just wondering, I'm letting my daughter have one tonight and she's stoked. She's 8 and she's having 5 friends over. I've got a bunch of fun snacks ready, ingredients for colorful fruit smoothies, ingredients for us to make pizzas together which we'll be doing once everyone's here, and some movies/music and other stuff for them to have fun with. 

I'd say I participate a medium amount, the girls love makeovers and snacking so I'll help with that and I always make a fun breakfast in the am. 

Most of our sleepovers have been wonderful but a while ago a little girl got scared and somehow managed to pee on my dog. Who came running up the stairs and into my bedroom as if hell had broken open. I go to pet him, of course, to calm him down and realize he's wet. Enter my daughter, holding the girl's hand, to tell me what had happened. Now my brave husky insists on not leaving my room when it's sleepover night haha. 

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Retrokitty
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM
My son is young so I haven't experienced it yet.
I guess the amount I participated would depend on the age. Gender may play a role as girls may want their mom more involved.
I'm okay with my kids having boy/ girl sleep overs same with DF.
strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I refuse to ever let a sleepover happen.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM

She is 7 so right now we do not have the room for a sleepover at our apartment.  I would only allow 2-3 girls not 5 at one time.  I want her to have that experience since I only had sleepovers at my house maybe a handful of times growing up.  I slept at everyone else's house usually.

liels898
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Quoting Retrokitty:

I guess the amount I participated would depend on the age. Gender may play a role as girls may want their mom more involved.

How old would he be when you allow him to have sleepovers?

I agree, I think girls probably want their moms to participate more than boys. And I have to admit it's fun to play makeovers and stuff as they get older. 

liels898
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Quoting strawberryLVR:

I refuse to ever let a sleepover happen.

Any particular reason?

Retrokitty
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:16 PM
I would allow it at any age he wants. He already has sleepovers with his grandparents.

Quoting liels898:

Quoting Retrokitty:

How old would he be when you allow him to have sleepovers?

I agree, I think girls probably want their moms to participate more than boys. And I have to admit it's fun to play makeovers and stuff as they get older. 

liels898
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

She is 7 so right now we do not have the room for a sleepover at our apartment.  I would only allow 2-3 girls not 5 at one time.  I want her to have that experience since I only had sleepovers at my house maybe a handful of times growing up.  I slept at everyone else's house usually.

Yeah, I'd imagine that would be a bit cramped. I initially had a 1-3 friends rule when she was younger, but we've moved back home and I know all her friends so it's become easier having more of them over at once. I'm sure it might be different though, as she gets older and maybe makes some new friends. 

Same here, I never had sleepovers so I guess it makes it more fun to get to host them now for her. 

Arwyn724
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this

My girls each had one big birthday sleep-over in their childhoods, each around 8 or 9 years old.  But they each have had tons of one-on-one sleep-overs with their respective best freinds.  My 17 yo still spends maybe one week-end a month at her best friends house, or she comes here. They text or skype their boyfriends all night.

Arwyn 724 

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:36 AM

we've only had one for her 7th birthday... we had 6 little girls plus her  brother participated. we set up a princess tea party and movies kept it pretty simple and I stayed in the other room unless they called me...everyone had a blast.

sweetnspacey
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:47 AM

My son is 4 and has had a lot of sleepovers. I have to be good friends with the parents for a sleepover to happen and he stays with his aunts and uncles. He has girl cousins that stay over and at this age I would be fine with a friend that's a girl also.

I usually have something fun planned for them but most of the time I just let them play.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN