Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

deceased pets ashes question UPDATE>> I LOOKED

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM
  • 20 Replies

ok, so my cat of 19 yrs passed away this past winter.. i decided to pay to get her ashes.

they gave  it to me  in a tin.. and they told me its in a plastic pouch.. 

anyway i keep it over my fireplace with her collar on top & her picture near by

when i miss her I hold her collar & look at her pic and at times i touch the tin box  to feel closer to her bc i just wish i can hold her i guess..

anyway.. sometimes i get curious to look at see her ashes.. ive never seen ashes of a person or pet before.. i did open the tin and noticed right away theres tissue paper covering in they really decorated it which was pretty & nice but honetsly i sorta felt like she was something i walked out a  a bed , bath & beyond store.. it was TOO dressed up it felt weird..

anyway..  is it weird or abnormal to want to look at it? im also scared to.. like will it haunt me to see it.. what does it look like? i have no idea & im curious but im scared too

anyone?

UPDATE:

1st of all thank you everyone for your adivce & support... i knew i wanted to but was scared. im  still early in the moourning stage its only been almost 5 months &  i had her 19 yrs.

so i opened the box & it was wrapped real tight  with tissue paper rolled in it MANY times.. each roll i was anticipating seeing the bag but  it took a while.. as i got closer i began to feel the ashes . finally the bag appeared.. & most of you if nto all were right.. it looked like sand i guess mostly small a few tiny bigger peices but not anything bigger than a small pebble. a few specks of color which  freaked me a bit  for some reason btu idk..  anyway i had the collar  & her name tag  in my hand too & i just lost it & cried. i cried lke the day she passed in my arms. oddly i found myself talking to her & felt crazy for it but i was like omg is this really you?? and i just kept asking that. i cried alot & told her how much i missed her aqnd her soft beatuful fur.. i just sat there holding the bag & her colar and cried. but as much as it brought up feeling again.. im happy i did it bc i no longer  need to wonder whats in there & what to expect. i dont  feel the need to look again or hold it. the next time ill ever see it is when i get the chance to get a nicer urn.

thanks so much for your kind words. it was a really hard loss for me ive beeen through alot &  she was there for all of it & lately ive been though a very hard time & this is the 1st time she isnt here.

thanks again xx and again, im sorry for those who lost as well.. pets are amazing  they truly are family.

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunrisekn
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I had my dog cremated and I have looked at her ashes. It's not something I'm obsessed with but I have looked at the probably 5 times in the last 5 years. 

I don't think it's weird, I think you are just curious.

mikesmom65270
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

If it makes you feel better, then I see nothing wrong with it.  I've never had a pet cremated, mine are buried in various locations around the yard (probably not legal), so I feel like they are part of my garden.

Foolynroo2
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

It's nothing that will be traumatizing, just take a look.

The_Doodle
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM
I don't know about pets, but I saw and scattered my dad's ashes and it is not like you would think. I thought it would be all super fine ashes, like in the movies...it looked more like sand with tiny bits of rock in it. There was really fine pieces and bigger pieces the size of a very small pebble.
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM

It just looks like regular ashes from a fireplace. They are in a plastic bag, so it's not like you will spill them on yourself.

TheDoctorsWife
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:19 PM
This is more than likely what your cat's cremains will look like.

Quoting The_Doodle:

I don't know about pets, but I saw and scattered my dad's ashes and it is not like you would think. I thought it would be all super fine ashes, like in the movies...it looked more like sand with tiny bits of rock in it. There was really fine pieces and bigger pieces the size of a very small pebble.
OklahomaWifey
by Amanda on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Nope. My Pomerainian, M'Lady, I had for 16 years was put down Halloween almost 2 years ago and we had her creamated. Her ashes sit on a shelf with her picture, next to the kid's pictures. Her collar is around the flowered box she's in, and her name tag we had made with her name, dob and dod on it, is attahced to the box. Go ahead and look. Really all you'll see is ashes, and maybe a few bone fragments. Don't worry, you will not see anything that will make it obvious your looking at your cat. Sorry for your loss. Hope things work out for you! ((HUGS))

Imjustinsmommy
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM

im sorry  for your loss too. im not obsessed either i just never saw any ashes of any body people or animals and yeah i curious but im scared bc idk what to expect to see..  is it white? will i see bone or anything? im just scared to be surrised  or something. i feel sick like its weird to look idk why.. apart of me  feels just look but another feels dont let that be how u remember her & maybe do nOT get that image.. idk..

Quoting sunrisekn:

I had my dog cremated and I have looked at her ashes. It's not something I'm obsessed with but I have looked at the probably 5 times in the last 5 years. 

I don't think it's weird, I think you are just curious.

Wicked.Jester
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I think its normal.  Its just curiosity.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Just looks like sand:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN