Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Speech in a 15 month old...when do I start worrying? *uh...edit?*

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM
  • 172 Replies
2 moms liked this
I know, I know, every kid is different. But that's the advice that took me till age three to get ds diagnosed with autism.

Dd doesn't have hearing problems, but doesn't respond to get own name. She babbles, but has no interest in pointing or putting labels to things.

In YOUR experience, what should a 15 month old be doing as far as communication?

*edit*
Holy crap. Uh, thank you ladies for all the great advice. It's just kinda overwhelming that now I have 140+ pieces of it lol. I promise to read it all but I think for now ill get her assessed by the regional center or at least schedule it. I'll also complete the MCHAT as also suggested.

Thank you! Cafe mom gods you can totally unfeature this now lol.
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM
I got dd evaluated at 18 months. It doesn't hurt to talk to the ped. about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:01 PM
My problem with that is my pedi is fairly laid back and she let ds go to 3 before suggesting it. She's not a bad pedi but she's the only one I get till January.

Quoting crwspringer:

I got dd evaluated at 18 months. It doesn't hurt to talk to the ped. about it.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Bump
adrianasmommy07
by Kristin on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:57 PM
4 moms liked this
If your " mom senses" are going off rhen you need to pay attention to them. Spend time each day pointing things out and naming them. She may not seem to br paying attention, but it does sink in.

Also, if she is working hard on another area of development like a new gross motor skill, she may seem to drop off or ignore another area like speech. My ds does that and his therapists (he had a brachial plexus injury and torticullis) say its perfectly normal.
SouthernStorm
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
3 moms liked this

I was concerned about my DD.  At 15 m she could say "dada" and "rooroo" (the dog, Rudy).  She'd said "mama" before but didn't say it at that time.  For the most part she didn't respond to her name (and still doens't).  She was over 18m before other words started creeping into her vocab.  Now at 22 months she can repeat almost anything I say (good and bad, lol).  Today I told her we were going into the store to get some Vodka and she starts screaming  Va-Ka, Va-ka, mama Va- ka, lol.  

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Thank you very much! I get people saying that ill know and such but I don't know what normal development looks like. Ds was very delayed so I have no idea.

Quoting adrianasmommy07:

If your " mom senses" are going off rhen you need to pay attention to them. Spend time each day pointing things out and naming them. She may not seem to br paying attention, but it does sink in.

Also, if she is working hard on another area of development like a new gross motor skill, she may seem to drop off or ignore another area like speech. My ds does that and his therapists (he had a brachial plexus injury and torticullis) say its perfectly normal.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Thank you!

Quoting SouthernStorm:

I was concerned about my DD.  At 15 m she could say "dada" and "rooroo" (the dog, Rudy).  She'd said "mama" before but didn't say it at that time.  For the most part she didn't respond to her name (and still doens't).  She was over 18m before other words started creeping into her vocab.  Now at 22 months she can repeat almost anything I say (good and bad, lol).  Today I told her we were going into the store to get some Vodka and she starts screaming  Va-Ka, Va-ka, mama Va- ka, lol.  

Ninjabubble
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM
My 15 month old can only say ma and mmmmm. But he might be mentally challenged :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SouthernStorm
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM
3 moms liked this

I'd probably let things ride until 2 and if not saying a decent amount of words at that point, seek out help.  

moroccanmommy
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Baby is only 15 months.....babbles is what they do
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN