Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should we move to Utah?

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 14 Replies
Hello everyone! We are in AZ but would like to move to utah. I've done some extensive research(reading, google, map, school, etc...) and so far I'm a little reluctant to move there. My husband's close friend lives in West Jordan, he recommend South Jordan. But I'm more worry about how my kids are going to be treated. If it matter we are Asian. Utah is beautiful but is it a good place to live?l
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
manamott
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

We moved to Utah about 2 years ago from Colorado. It is nice. Very family friendly. I wouldn't live anywhere south of SLC though. We lived in West Valley for a short time and it was awful. We live up further north now in Syracuse and it's very nice. We have noticed a bit of trouble though with our kids being allowed to play with the neighborhood kids because we aren't mormon. Not too much...but a little. They don't seem to have any problem at school though. We're moving back to CO next month for DH's job but if that hadn't have happened we probably would have stayed here. 

manamott
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM

And I guess I should add...I don't know for sure that the parents won't let their kids play over here because we're not mormon...but I have suspicions. For most of the neighbors, it's fine...but there's one or two that won't let their kids come here and won't let our kids go there so they have to play on middle ground in the front yards 

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM
I'm in AZ too we almost moved to salt lake 2 years ago. We decided against it
SarahC21
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Thank you for taking the time to respond Ladies.
kers0609
by New Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I grew up in Utah and now live in Colorado.  A lot of the parents are this way with non-LDS, sucks for the kids.

Quoting manamott:

And I guess I should add...I don't know for sure that the parents won't let their kids play over here because we're not mormon...but I have suspicions. For most of the neighbors, it's fine...but there's one or two that won't let their kids come here and won't let our kids go there so they have to play on middle ground in the front yards 

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jul. 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I do not know if it is a good place to live or not.  Have you looked into their Chamber of Commerce yet?  Sometimes they have notes on the area for prospective residents. 

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Utah is gorgeous! I have no idea if I would want to live there though. It could be a little difficult or different since mostly Mormons live there and own everything. I visited a city before and found this out through my experiences.

SarahC21
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Yes that was my conclusion also! Being accepted will be the problem. Thank you I appreciate your honest opinion.
little.worthen
by Tess on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM
There are a lot of Asians here. I say do it! South Jordan is great! I moved from AZ to UT also. We're going to buy a house soon in Sandy.
I bet you've heard a lot of the same stories that I did before I moved. I'll say that most of them are true but it also depends on where you live. I would go any lower than draper or any higher than bountiful.
Other than that, it's an awesome place! (=
kyledavidsmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Quoting manamott:

We moved to Utah about 2 years ago from Colorado. It is nice. Very family friendly. I wouldn't live anywhere south of SLC though. We lived in West Valley for a short time and it was awful. We live up further north now in Syracuse and it's very nice. We have noticed a bit of trouble though with our kids being allowed to play with the neighborhood kids because we aren't mormon. Not too much...but a little. They don't seem to have any problem at school though. We're moving back to CO next month for DH's job but if that hadn't have happened we probably would have stayed here. 

We live in West Valley and it is really awful.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN