Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Kindergarten

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 31 Replies

What do think children need to know to be ready for kindergarten?? Are u worried/were u worried that you children aren't ready??

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melodynewsome
by Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM
My daughter is a Dec baby so she tested in early. My daughter had started Pre K early and knew what she needed to know when she started, she did great.

In kindergarten they read, do math, problem solving, writing, writing sentences and more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SerenityBerry
by Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Potty Trained, able to recite alphabet, count to at least 20, know the colors.

Also helpful to be able to recognize a few simple words by sight and able to follow direction of an adult other than parent. 

connorsmom2009
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:36 PM

BUMP!

Momofmenagerie
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I'm done worrying about it , honestly , and he's only three. I'm not going to get knots in my stomach for him to " feed" of off and freak out himself.
sallymaggie
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM
My DS1 is starting in September I worry about bullies!
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Colors, shapes, alphabet, numbers and some site words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:44 PM

my oldest son was beyond ready. he was born at the end of june so he is on the young side

but my middle son not so much. he is delayed because of his speech and motor skills. he is a smart kid. he is already reading some books but he can hardly write

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:04 PM
I happen to be teaching kindergarten readiness for the school district. Some kids are more advanced, most are but the minimum we look for is: (they do go to kinder anyway but will receive special Ed services)
They should know letters, not the sounds a letter makes necessarily but the name of it.
Numbers should be known through 10, and they should be starting to count out objects to that number. (Many know the order but can't show what 3 apples look like for example)
They should recognize their own name, maybe not write it but if you do teach it, capital first then lowercase! We have to fix the all capital names all the time.
Bathroom independence, its really uncomfortable to have to undress and dress your kids. Please don't put things on them that require me to do this! Make sure they can wipe on their own as well.
Sitting through a short story. Practice having them sit on the floor as you are in a chair. They can not jump up and point to things, wander off, lay down, etc.
hands out of my face please! Many parents are touchy and don't mind hands all over their face and even in their mouths. Please teach those kids that teachers face is off limits.
jconney80
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:03 PM

They should know their letters and numbers, shapes, colors, be potty trained.

needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM
After having my oldest go through it and I helped out a lot in his class, really all they need to know is how to write their name and be potty trained. It's helpful if they know how to count to 30, but not necessary. Kinder teaches them all the basics (letters, numbers, reading small things, writing "kinder" spelling). I thought my DS was going to be really far behind because he is autistic, but he was actually further ahead them most of his class when he went in. That was less than two years ago. My DD starts next week. I'm not concerned at all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)