Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

naptime help

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:25 PM
  • 7 Replies

my daughter is about 8 months.  getting her to take a nap is a trial in and of itself.  but, that isn't my issue really.  she takes 2 (occassionally but rarely 3) naps a day but they rarely last past the first sleep cycle, so about 24-37 minutes.  sometimes i can rock her back to sleep and she'll be out for another 30-60 minutes, which is wonderful... when it actually happens.  i wouldn't worry about the 30 minute naps except that often times she gets tired again faster (but fights taking another nap) and is a crabby abby until i can get her to take a good long nap.  

what happens when she wakes up, if i just leave her there?  if she doesn't start crying within a couple of minutes, then she rolls over on her stomach, practices crawling by scooting backwards, gets her legs caught in the bars of the crib, THEN starts crying.  i try to turn her over and give her the paci back, but she just stares and me and starts to cry again if i don't pick her up.  i don't mind holding her to fall asleep, if she would always go back to sleep.

she sleeps great at night, so i know self-soothing is different between day naps and night sleeps.

i'm not willing to do any kind of CIO.  i know some parents swear by it but it isn't for everyone, and it's not for us, though i can totally understand why someone would do it and i don't judge for that.

any suggestions how i can get her to nap longer?

i'm not looking to get bashed or draw out the sanctimoms who are looking for an excuse to talk to a newb (like me) like an inferior idiot.  i admit it, i'm an idiot when it comes to babies, okay?  before my daughter i had no experience with babies, and when i ask the moms around me for advice, i get a lot of shoulder shrugs.  so now i need helpful friendly advice.

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Is her naptime routine the same as the bedtime routine?  Is her room nice and dark like at night?  These are things that could factor into her not wanting to take a nap.   How much sleep is she getting at night?

RADmomma
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM
What time does she get up? What time are naps? Bedtime??
tigerstripes12
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:44 PM

her naptime routine isn't the exact same or else she'd get 4 baths a day! :)  but yes it's relatively the same.  same room, lights low or out, lullabies on stereo with me humming along, bottle, and sleep. but at night she gets a bath and a story.  the room isn't as dark as at night because the curtains aren't black out but it is very dim.  when she doses off at night we put her in the pack 'n' play in our room with a bedside lamp on which we turn off when we come to bed.  but for naps she sleeps in the crib in her nursery.  the reason i do this is because i'd like for her to be used to sleeping in her crib when we do eventually put her in her own room at nights.  but, if it might help, i could put her down in our bedroom (which does have black out curtains) for naps.  i've tried it once or twice and it didn't make a difference, but babies change so much, it might be just the thing now!

at night she sleeps about 10 hours total not including the 1 or 2 wakeups (one to eat, one to cuddle).  some nights she skips the first wakeup.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Is her naptime routine the same as the bedtime routine?  Is her room nice and dark like at night?  These are things that could factor into her not wanting to take a nap.   How much sleep is she getting at night?

tigerstripes12
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM

she gets up between 8-9am then takes her first nap 2 hours later (10-11) then the next nap is about 2-3 hours after waking from the first depending on how much she fights.  i tried for several weeks to do scheduled nap times but she fights them so much that i end up spending the entire day in the nursery.  she's young but very willful.  bedtime, most recently, has been about 9/9:30.  i try for earlier but, like i said, willful.

i prefer the baby-led schedule, i just want the naps to be longer

Quoting RADmomma:

What time does she get up? What time are naps? Bedtime??

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM
It might be time to take her down to just one nap a day
tigerstripes12
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM

hmmmm i wouldn't mind that but she gets really cranky when that first nap is delayed.  this was so much easier (never thought i'd be saying that!) when she was just a few months and slept so easily!

Quoting ditsyjo:

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM
It really is easier when they are tiny. And yeah they do get cranky until they get used to the change... If you do decide to do take it slow

Quoting tigerstripes12:

hmmmm i wouldn't mind that but she gets really cranky when that first nap is delayed.  this was so much easier (never thought i'd be saying that!) when she was just a few months and slept so easily!

Quoting ditsyjo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)