Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Its SO hard to be patient with lawyers! Does anyone have experience here?? (Bankruptcy related)

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM
  • 3 Replies
1 mom liked this
Ok. My fiance and I both filed bankruptcy at the same time, over three years ago. He owned a home and also filed that with the bankruptcy, BUT never signed a re-affirmation agreement. We just continued to make payments on the house and still live here. The bank never foreclosed on the property because, well, they're not realtors and if you're paying them they'd rather have your money than kick you out and be stuck with a property that noone wants. Our lawyer called it a "retain and pay". We've done it this long without any problems.

Well, now that my credit is all cleaned up and we're 3years out of discharge, I went and got approved for a mortgage. (I didn't own property when I filed. Fiance won't be on this new loan because he did.) We found a house and want to make an offer on it. Fiance just wants to be reassured that we won't somehow be stuck with the payments on the house we're living in now. Trying to reach the attorney since last Wednesday and she won't call us back. We don't want to wait on her much longer cause we don't want to risk losing the house we found.

I think it's fine and we're in the clear. When we pull up his credit report, his mortgage says (on all 3 reports) that the house was filed in the bankruptcy and the balance on it is $0. He's just worried that there's somehow going to be some fees or something that we're gonna get stuck with...

Anyone?? Different banks have told us different things...but bankers are not lawyers so I don't know if we should trust them or ONLY the attorneys.

Where's the legal mama's at?? Help please!
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Can't help you other than bumping this up.

JustMe0326
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Bump
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM
No clue. Sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN