Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Speech theorist refuses to see my son. UPDATE: they changed their mind.

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM
  • 50 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am a little frustrated. My son is 6 years old with a realitively minor speech issue. The pediatrician referred him to a speech theorpist a month ago. I immediately made him a appointment with the only one in the area. This morning the called an canceled the appointment because " the theorist doesn't want new patients". This seems really unprofessional to me. Does it to any one else? ETA: I would have completely understood if they had told me when I first called that they were not taking new patients.... But they did not they made an appointment for this week a month out which was fine. Then they called me this morning and CANCELED the appointment they made 4 weeks ago. That is what seemed unprofessional to me

ETA2: so they called me back yesterday and told me they that because I was only asking for an evaluation, he already gets services through the school but his school therapist wanted a second opinion on something she noticed, that they would see him. which was great, and they confirmed what she noticed ( a weakness in the right side of his face) . now they want to see him weekly not so much for speech but for feeding therapy though they will work on speech too. Just thought I'd update and let everyone know how it worked out.

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry but if that persons current client load is full there is nothing that you can do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Yeah I would be annoyed but it is their privilege to turn away new patients/children.  Can you go through the schools for speech help?

nana-to-9
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

The practice could very well be full.  Contact your insurance carrier and find what out the names of other speech therapists that you could use.....then make calls from that list.   Good luck. 

Mom2jngnc
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Sorry, I am no help. 

We went through EI (early intervention) and later the schools (CPSE, and now CSE). I know they can only fit so many a day in. 

The therapist we had under EI and CPSE was great, in the fact that she would start her day at 7:30 am and run until 5pm.... 

kirita323
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Don't give up. What's his speech issue (if you don't mind my asking)?

Mish321
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Find another DR., you don't need this unprofessional. 

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM
I would not be annoyed if they had told me up front we aren't taking new clients but they didn't. They made the appointment then a month later 2 days before we were suppose to come in they changed their mind.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yeah I would be annoyed but it is their privilege to turn away new patients/children.  Can you go through the schools for speech help?

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:33 PM
The school has him in speech but he gets 30 minutes a week of small group work and zero one on one time

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Sorry, I am no help. 

We went through EI (early intervention) and later the schools (CPSE, and now CSE). I know they can only fit so many a day in. 

The therapist we had under EI and CPSE was great, in the fact that she would start her day at 7:30 am and run until 5pm.... 

letstalk747
by Joy on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:33 PM

yes it is

blue123244
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I don't think it's unprofessional maybe she is seeing to many people at the moment and can't take any more - I think the receptionist was kind of rude what s/he should have said was, "the therapist is no longer taking new patients"  If your son goes to a public school there should be a therapist there that can see him

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)