Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
My son has severe ADHD. I have read that red dye 40 has affects in kids with ADHD. I was going to try to take it out of my sons diet. My question is has anyone done this? Did it work? Positive and negatives? Thanks for any input.
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
irishluck112211
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM
It looks like starting tomorrow no more red dye 40. Any ideas what freeze pops don't have red dye in them? He will be having surgery and told me to get freeze pops for after.
Kahla11
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Check labels sorry i completely went blank on what freezer pops we use. If we do use the regular pops we try not to give the red kind. We took out Red dye 40 out of my oldest diet and have noticed that her adhd has calmed down not gone away but calmed down enough that we know when she has had it. Also see about eleminating butter cream icing the kind you see on birthday cakes at Wal-Mart. (here is only one that i know for a fact has no red dye and that is sunny d freezer pops. i just checked my freezer but that is not the only kind.)

heather406
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:50 PM

My daughter is allergic to artificial dyes (horrible hives)...when we cut them out of her diet we noticed HUGE changes in her behavior, her speech improved, she potty trained.  It was nuts.  We're a dye-free household now.  There is absolutely NO benefit to that shit being in your food.  None. 

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:56 PM

It made a huge difference with my son. I know there are skeptics who will tell you it's bull(I used to be one), but what is the harm in trying? It will take a little while for it all to get out of his system though. With DS it took about 2 weeks, but the change was like night and day.

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM

EDY's makes a popsicle that has no dyes in it. Or you can get some molds and make homemade ones(that is always fun to do with the kids). Get some of the yougurt tubes(check labels, there are some out there that are dye,HFCS free) and freeze them.

Quoting irishluck112211:

It looks like starting tomorrow no more red dye 40. Any ideas what freeze pops don't have red dye in them? He will be having surgery and told me to get freeze pops for after.

heather406
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Outshine popsicles!  That's what we've been buying for the kids...they LOVE the lime ones.  They have a ton of different flavors though.  

Quoting RheaF:

EDY's makes a popsicle that has no dyes in it. Or you can get some molds and make homemade ones(that is always fun to do with the kids). Get some of the yougurt tubes(check labels, there are some out there that are dye,HFCS free) and freeze them.

Quoting irishluck112211:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:03 PM

My son acts like a crazy, insane, fool when he has Red Dye 40 (he has ADHD). We can tell when he's had it & when he hasn't for sure. I mean, without it he doesn't act "normal", you can still tell he has ADHD. Its just worse when he has the red dye. KWIM?

rgba
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:04 PM
The peach ones are soooooooo good.

Quoting heather406:

Outshine popsicles!  That's what we've been buying for the kids...they LOVE the lime ones.  They have a ton of different flavors though.  

Quoting RheaF:

Quoting irishluck112211:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lenashark
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I believe it does increase hyperactivity, I don't have ADHD, whenever I have sugar, soda, coffee, whatever it never gives me more energy, but whenever I eat something with Red dye 40, I feel like I'm bouncing off the walls, so I can imagine what it would do to a child with ADHD. We don't eat it often, we mainly don't keep snacks with dyes or processed foods, but when we do have it on a rare occasion I notice a change in my son as well, once again he doesn't have ADHD, but it still brings his energy level up.

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM

We have also been freezing watermelon, (cube it first), then tossing it in the blender with a little water, or juice and blend it up. It is the perfect slushie!! So yummy :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)