Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
My son has severe ADHD. I have read that red dye 40 has affects in kids with ADHD. I was going to try to take it out of my sons diet. My question is has anyone done this? Did it work? Positive and negatives? Thanks for any input.
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Replies (21-25):
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:24 PM

we are working on this right now, so far....i'm not sure how it's going.....

irishluck112211
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:55 AM
Thanks everyone!
shajdinyak
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:31 AM
Start shopping and buying everything there and you will be good:) we love trader joes. Let me know if you have other questions.

Quoting irishluck112211:

We have a trader joes next town over.

Quoting shajdinyak:

Anything artifical get rid of so no colors. Do you have any Trader Joes stores, whole foods, etc?

Quoting irishluck112211:

All dyes? Or just red dye?

Quoting shajdinyak:

Absolutely...no negatives about it...remove all dyes, artifical and processed food...is a start. I can tell you where to go next.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:34 AM

I know a couple of people who have had very good luck with removing not only red dye 40, but processed foods in general, from their kids' diets. It can only lead to good things, IMO. A friend of mine removed gluten and dyes from her son's diet after he was diagnosed with ADHD and Asperger's, and she says it really helps. Doesn't totally fix everything, but his behavior is a lot better.

I also have ADHD myself, and I know that getting enough physical activity is absolutely imperative for managing symptoms. I have a (private and completely untested) hypothesis that it's no coincidence that the rates of "ADHD" diagnosis have skyrocketed over the same period of time that we've done away with recess and kids' general level of physical activity has gone down and consumption of processed foods has gone up. Like I said, totally untested, but it's a hunch I have.

rosiemarie
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Google feingold diet......you can give a donations and they send you food guides etc.
my kids not ADHD or autistic but I saw improvement in behavior and my daughter was more calm

Quoting irishluck112211:

My son has severe ADHD. I have read that red dye 40 has affects in kids with ADHD. I was going to try to take it out of my sons diet. My question is has anyone done this? Did it work? Positive and negatives? Thanks for any input.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)