Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I regret having to use it on my bf, but was I right to?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm 23 yrs. old and have been dating this guy for about 4 mos. now. At first he seemed open and supportive, but as of late it's gotten progressively worse. I happen to take taekwondo, and have for about 7 mos now. He hadn't been threatening to me in any way before. That's why what happened last night is so surprising. We got into an argument, about job/finances-mostly me pushing him to make more of an effort. He got very rude with me, and it got to the point where I wanted to leave the room, just try the discussion another time. He grabbed my arm at the wrist as I was walking away. Then I used a serious tone telling him "NOT to do that!" He mocked me (as he's aware of my taking taekwondo) saying "Oh, what are you going to do, use your little strip mall dojo crap?" Ooookay, now I see! I simply faced him, assessing where it would go from there. I simply told him not to go there. He responds with a sneer and "We'll see about that!" and flung back his right hand to slap my face. I reacted exactly as we've practiced in class so many times, ducking under his hand. He missed, and his momentum threw him sort off of balance. When I came up, I took 1 step back, and with my left leg, maximum flexibility (since he's 7 inches taller), used a crescent kick (where you kick in a motion-inside out in a circular motion) on him, nailed the side of his face. He stumbled back about 2 steps but didn't go down. Instead he yelled "Why you bit**!" at me and flung his arm out for another slap attempt. It was easy to see though, and without thinking I used another crescent kick on him, this time with my right leg, nailed him good on the other side of his face. He went down. I used that moment to grab my handbag and leave, I didn't bother to grab anything else. I haven't called any mutual acquaintances yet, so I don't know what he's said or done since last night. I'm staying with a friend right now. I had no hint something like this would happen. I just reacted the way I was trained in class, and it worked. I wonder if it was too much though. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks.

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Replies (31-40):
ablanke
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM

i agree u did awesome. definitaly file a police report. and have someone go with u when ugrab ur things.

AmericanChild82
by Chrissy on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:55 PM
The way I see it he came at you like a little beezy and got his butt kicked like one. You deserve a standing ovation for standing up and protecting yourself! You should be damn proud!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Perhaps not illiterate, but you certainly aren't doing yourself any favors with all the swearing.  It makes you look pretty ignorant.  Why are you suddenly so defensive about my comment, anyway?  Also, I really think the cops would side with her.  She acted in self defense.   

Quoting goddiddlyumshis:

No, I'm fucking illiterate and can't read.
Obviously I read, and I'll still say the same thing. Self defense, go for it. But her ass would still get charged if cops were involved.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Did you actually read?  She tried to, and he grabbed her arm.  She gave him a warning not to do it, and let her go...he didn't listen and chose instead to raise his hand to her.  What should she have done, just sit and take it?

Quoting goddiddlyumshis:

*slow clap*

How mature. You should've just left.

What belt are you?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Way to go! He struck first when he grabbed your arm and then tried to backhand you. You defended yourself. I am cheering on your strength right now. Very proud of you! Not very often a woman does this. Most make excuses for the situation and for the man. I have been guilty of it. Now don't go back!
goodmama85
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Exactly this!! I would have done a hell of a lot worst to his stupid ass lol.

Quoting lesalmi:

Girl... you... are... AWESOME!!

Shit no you arent wrong!! If he was going to hurt you, by all means beat the fuckers ass!!

goodmama85
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I agree.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Perhaps not illiterate, but you certainly aren't doing yourself any favors with all the swearing.  It makes you look pretty ignorant.  Why are you suddenly so defensive about my comment, anyway?  Also, I really think the cops would side with her.  She acted in self defense.   

Quoting goddiddlyumshis:

No, I'm fucking illiterate and can't read.
Obviously I read, and I'll still say the same thing. Self defense, go for it. But her ass would still get charged if cops were involved.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Did you actually read?  She tried to, and he grabbed her arm.  She gave him a warning not to do it, and let her go...he didn't listen and chose instead to raise his hand to her.  What should she have done, just sit and take it?

Quoting goddiddlyumshis:

*slow clap*

How mature. You should've just left.

What belt are you?

kikib88
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Hate to say it...but sometimes men need to be put in their place. He had no right to even grab you like that. As far as your stuff...Did this happen at his house or yours? Either way, call the police, say you dont feel safe going by yourself and have him removed (if its your place) or go in and get your things.

JacobsMommy0808
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:50 PM

i 100% agree that u did the right thing! i spent 2+ years attending (only watching) my cousin's tae kwon do class so i am familiar with the art, and the first thing students are taught is to ONLY use your skills in self defense.  i also agree with terpmama! u shuld go to ur local police department and file an incident report and be completely honest with them about what he did and the actions (moves u used) u took to protect and defend urself! it sounds like if you stay with him or stay in contact he will be abusive. he may have an abusive record that you dont know about. if u file an incident report and are honest the police can arrange to have an order of protection/restraining order filed on your behalf.

17christine
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Ya I think you did fine. If he really tried to hit you then you defended yourself and theres nothing wrong with that, so don't feel bad for that! I would report it just in case he tries to do something about it.. it's better to be safe than sorry. As long as you're not taunting him and asking for a fight to prove yourself, then I think what you did is fine because based on what you said, you defended yourself!

bluebunbun
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM

do you have kids? You don't live with him do you? Do you have things at his place? I would say you did nothing wrong in my eyes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)