Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

American Girl Dolls

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM
  • 18 Replies
I want to get dd(6) one for her birthday she turns 7. She gets the catalogs and has been wanting one but I have been putting it off. She wants one of the My American dolls that will look like her. We live about 2 hours from a store. If you were buying one would you take her to the store or just order it online? do they have the kind she wants in store? whats so special about the stores? thanks!
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kayelynnesmommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:46 PM
bump
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM

If I lived 2 hours away I would probably just order online. The store is a pretty cool experience. I live near the one in NYC. If you plan far enough ahead you have book and have lunch there. 

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

The store is very cool, but it will suck you in. They have accessories galore for the dolls. I'd order it online. ;)

kayelynnesmommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM
i looked and the shipping is going to be $20+ for what i am ordering her birthday is in october so some of it is christmas but it would only be at most 30 bucks to drive there. it would be the atlanta store. do they have a good selection of dolls in store? i am all for it being an experience kinda thing.

Quoting LuLuRex:

If I lived 2 hours away I would probably just order online. The store is a pretty cool experience. I live near the one in NYC. If you plan far enough ahead you have book and have lunch there. 

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

It would be a special occasion to drive her to the store and let her pick one out. You might need a rule about what accessories she could get. If she sees it in the store, she would be able to tell for sure that it is the one she wanted.

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM

The store is really cool. We have done a day trip to one(it is 1 1/2 hours away). Did lunch, the whole deal. They bring a special chair for your DD's doll, and a place setting for the doll, DD had a blast(and the food was well worth the money IMO). DH and DS went to the lego store,lol.

Indiemom880
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I would probably order one online because with gas or train fare, meals, incidentals and everything it would cost a lot more! But yeah, I've heard the stores are really cool. My kid's grandparents took her there for her birthday when she turned 5 and she had an amazing time. Just expect to shell out more money because she'll probably want to do the cafe and shows and all kinds of other stuff that looks amazing there! :-)

KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM
I know of the one in Alpharatta GA north of atl. It's large and has a huge selection of everything. Even has a little place to eat in the store.

Quoting kayelynnesmommy:i looked and the shipping is going to be $20+ for what i am ordering her birthday is in october so some of it is christmas but it would only be at most 30 bucks to drive there. it would be the atlanta store. do they have a good selection of dolls in store? i am all for it being an experience kinda thing.

Quoting LuLuRex:

JollyMommy84
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I would go to one just for the experince,make it a special outing for your DD,how far is the store from your House ?,I remember growing up I really wanted a American Girl Doll but never got one.I don't know if we have a store near us...

MentorMom1
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Can you just go in and purchase one of the "look alike" America Girl dolls? I thought you might have to preorder those, but I don't know.

We got our younger DD an American Girl doll (Molly) as a reward for becoming a good reader. She loved the American Girl books, and was really into them. Except for the endings. They were not always happy, which she thought was terrible.

Otherwise, I don't think I would have bought one.

They are not cheap toys, and my DD was eight when she got hers. She took good care of it and whatever accessories she had. (I love the hair curlers!) 

Once Molly's head came off, and the factory put it back on. For a modest price.

The company is a little weird. Kind of like Stepford Dolls.  But the girls love them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN