Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

he wont stop touching himself!!

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM
  • 17 Replies
My almost 4 year old son will not stop touching his penis. He doesnt even realize he is doing it half the time. We are constantly reminding him to stop touching himself, which is quite embarassing in public. I know its a natural curosity and its fairly normal, so I dont want to punish him for it, but just telling him to stop over and over isnt working and he does it all the time. :/ Any advice? All he is doing is messing with it outside his pants, but every once in a while I'll turn around to everything hanging out and a "tada!" expression on his face, like he has accomplished something amazing, thankfully that only happens at home.
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KimmieLu
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM
My cousin did that. His mom would tell him it was going to end up hanging down to his knees if he kept pulling on it.

Maybe explain to him why its not the most appropriate thing to do rather than just saying stop. Point out to him that dad doesn't fiddle with his bits everywhere he goes. He might just have to grow out of it.
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Tell him it is a private time thing only for when he is alone in his room or the tub
terpmama
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Send him to the bathroom/ private area every time he does it. It'll get real old real fast to always be missing the fun. Not as punishment but as a "that is a private thing so go be private" type of thing

tairakittie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:22 PM

bump!

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I agree with teaching about doing it in private.  Is his pants/underwear bothering that area that he feels he has to mess with it? Adult age males will adjust themselves alot as well and not realize it being done.  Does he tell you how it feels when it is occurring?

tairakittie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:35 PM

He was in regular undies and everything was fine, but I use regular gym type shorts as a swimsuit on him and he asked one day to wear his "swimsuit" to bed, then asked to wear it all day the next day and said he didn't want undies. He messes with it less when he is wearing undies, but has made it very clear that he does not want to wear undies, he prefers to go free in gym shorts. I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, between wanting to respect his choice of attire and wanting him to stop touching himself. Right now he thinks of his undies as a punishment. I let him choose his clothes every day, and he always chooses a pair of gym shorts, this has been going on for at least 2 weeks now. :/ I try to tell him to do it in private, he will stop when I ask him to. I'm pretty sure its just a phase I have to wait out, at least he grew out of the smearing poop phase shortly after it started. lol

Quoting frndlyfn:

I agree with teaching about doing it in private.  Is his pants/underwear bothering that area that he feels he has to mess with it? Adult age males will adjust themselves alot as well and not realize it being done.  Does he tell you how it feels when it is occurring?

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Are the undies tighty whiteys (or char. designs)  or boxer type?   The preschooler boxers are similar to gym shorts i think but do not hold on to moisture like gym shorts could.

autiovisual
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Carefful not to traumatize him. lol ignore rather than respond because he'll only come to realize its an attention getter. in public maybe a short reprimand by way of a reminder but don't make it important. do you get what I am saying. Maybe others have experience with this and would offer their qwn experience. 

TabM
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I always tell my son that he has to do that in private in his room so that has become somewhat of a codeword when we are in public. I lean over and whisper "privacy" in his ear and he realizes what he's doing and stops. It's really like he does it unconsciously.

JCKitten87
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Have you explained that it's only ok to do in private? That other people shouldn't see his privates?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)