Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Advice: Professinal to SAHM

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
I'm looking for advice/support during my transition from a professional working in health care to a SAHM. It has been difficult for me wrapping my head around being at home every day with the baby and not having a schedule of patients, phone calls and adult interaction. I feel that if I don't do everything around the house and take care of the baby, I'm being lazy. But I just don't have the energy!!! Since DS doesn't yet sleep through the night, it's 24/7. My SO works full time long hours during the week and travels a couple of weekends a month. Both of our families live thousands of miles away. I often feel like (and am!) I'm doing it all on my own.
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM
It takes a little time to change your rhythm .... You will get there
brettsmomma
by Tammie on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Its was a very rough adjustment for me. I was 39 years old and giving up the career I worked pretty damn hard for. But eventually I found that I made a nice routine for myself. I love it now and wouldn't trade it for anything. If anything my career taught me the importance of time management, and budgeting skills. I get the job done around here! :) 

Photo: -Randi.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Mostly it just takes time. It's a big life change, but if its what you want and what you feel is best for your child(ren) then you'll grow accustomed to it. I also gave up a career that I loved and worked hard for, but now 5 years into being a SAHM, I know it was definitely the right choice.

I keep a quasi schedule because I'm a scheduler by nature. And continuing adult interaction, even if its just chatting with the other parents at the park, is absolutely vital. Best of luck to you!
olliesmommy2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Are there any mom groups local you may find support through? Ive stayed at home for 2 1/2 years now, and after working and taking care of myself for 17 years it still seems new to me some days. Just relax, find a system that works for you and focus on your babe. The biggest thing is communicating with your husband about expectations. Some days the dishes arent clean when he gets home, but for us, a happy kid is my first priority. If ive been running around, playdates, shopping, and nurturing my son, housework is trivial. A good friend will help too. Some support and maybe a babysitter every once and a while so you can have an hour to yourself! Good luck and enjoy that baby!!

funhappymom
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:31 AM

How old is your little one?

Try not to be hard on yourself. It's a new transition for you and it's not easy especially when you are used to the rush of an office.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Welcome to the group,
It will take some time to adjust but you'll all get there :)

jconney80
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Welcome! It was a big adjustment for me too! I think the best thing you can do is to put yourself on a schedule and schedule outings for you so you dont get too bored. Finding other local moms to do things with will help you feel sane!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adulation
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM

are you in or near a metro area?  a lot of cities have mom meet up groups so that you have things to do besides just stay home. you could be one of the ladies that doesthe planning for them if you like to do things like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)