Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

PLEASE GIVE ADVISE ~~ Mom looking to join Navy~~

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hello Everyone

I have a 2 year old son and I'm looking to hear from some mothers who are in the navy and even woman anyone married to some one in the navy. I know I would be gone but how long at a time could I be gone for months, years or just weeks. I feel this would be a great move for me an my son but just want to get input from mothers who have gone through it or anyone who spouse is in the navy. I would appreciate all of your comments Thank You
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I have not been in the military but for how long you could be away from son, there is no telling.  Orders change all the time for those in active service.  I would find out if there are any mothers in a local group from the navy to speak with them about it.

mtay2290
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Thank you!
Lovemyshadows
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Why Navy?  

mtay2290
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM
I have wanted to join the navy since high school, I love the water an love to travel!!
milmomma2006
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM

My best friend's husband is Navy, he is gone a lot! Like 8-9 months at a time minimum!! I am Air Force and I have only been away from my child for a total of 6 months in my entire 5 years so far, and those 6 months were basic training and tech school. Are you a single mom? I know that's kind of a personal question but most branches won't let you join as a single parent. You would either have to get married or sign your rights over, until you become what we call permanent party, which just means until you get out of training.

mtay2290
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:51 PM
It's fine, I'm married..I guess I just want to mind of get an idea I had looked into the Air Force but my weight an asvab score didn't meet the requirements plus I have always wanted to do the navy, I guess I'm just a little nervous
ERMDK
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, if you are a single mom, make sure you disclose that right away. My dh is in the army, but I have heard many stories in every branch about single moms who have to sign away parental rights, or moms who refuse to show up for deployments because they have no one to take their kids. This is going AWOL. Some single moms expect special treatment, but the military does not care.
Make sure you really know what you are getting into!

Quoting milmomma2006:

My best friend's husband is Navy, he is gone a lot! Like 8-9 months at a time minimum!! I am Air Force and I have only been away from my child for a total of 6 months in my entire 5 years so far, and those 6 months were basic training and tech school. Are you a single mom? I know that's kind of a personal question but most branches won't let you join as a single parent. You would either have to get married or sign your rights over, until you become what we call permanent party, which just means until you get out of training.

milmomma2006
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM

That's understandable. I don't think the Air Force is taking many right now anyways. I don't blame you for being nervous, I definitely was!

Quoting mtay2290:

It's fine, I'm married..I guess I just want to mind of get an idea I had looked into the Air Force but my weight an asvab score didn't meet the requirements plus I have always wanted to do the navy, I guess I'm just a little nervous

mtay2290
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM
I have many options set up for my child if I was to get deployed so thankfully that wouldn't be an issue an with my son being 2 he's so young by the time he realizes " my mommy is gone a lot" ( if I am) not too much longer I would be finishing up my 4 years..I just have wanted to get advice an hear from mothers who are in the military because they can tell me the truth unlike recruiters who I know will leave some stuff out
shadowkisses
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM
The military is an excellent choice if everyone is in agreement. That being said you have to be completely selfless. There can be times you are gone for days or a year plus. If your weight is a concern you need to be sure that's taken care of ASAP. The military expects you to be in good physical condition regardless of branch. It's definitely a good way to support your family but make sure you research everything first.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)