Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

When do you tell your employer you are pregnant?

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:28 PM
  • 21 Replies

ESP if you are within your first year because Fmla does not count till after a year. Say you got pregnant and have 6 months till being employed there for a year 

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
staci1103
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Personally I think it depends on the job. For instance I was nurse when I was pregnant with my 1st and worked in a hospital. There were patients on my flopr with certain illnesses that would negatively effect a fetus so I had to let them know asap as to not come im contact with thise pts.
ladybuglove08
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM
I had to let mine know ASAP too..I was a vet tech at the time & took X-rays on a daily basis
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
connie45
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM
You tell the appropriate person when you know. If you need time off for Dr appts, illness relating to the pregnancy or need some type of job modification during the pregnancy, it is in your own best interest to keep the employer informed. Let them know you want to keep working. There may also be State Laws regarding pregnancy disability which supercede federal ones.
Hollybriann
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:13 AM
Whenever. They can't discriminate. I told my employer when I got past the first trimester.
DieselsMom
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:17 AM

They can if the pregnancy keeps you from doing your job!

Quoting Hollybriann:

Whenever. They can't discriminate. I told my employer when I got past the first trimester.

Katt709
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:18 AM
I told after my 12 week appointment. Fmla and your length of service make no difference when you tell the employer.

And fyi. Fmla will apply when you've been there a year no matter when you got pregnant. So if you go out after your year of service it applies.
LADYxGHOST
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:38 AM

I had to tell them as soon as I knew. however my job didn't have a minimum time before you got time off after delivery. The military gives you 6 weeks after delivery and you can opt to take you remaining leave time 9vaction days) in conjuction. 

Hollybriann
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:43 AM
Why would it? I was 8 months pregnant with twins stocking walmarts shelves. Getting up and down on hands and knees and on ladders.

Quoting DieselsMom:

Quoting Hollybriann:

Tipsen
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Well like I am a nurse and certain things you are not to be around while pregnant 

Quoting Hollybriann:

Why would it? I was 8 months pregnant with twins stocking walmarts shelves. Getting up and down on hands and knees and on ladders.

Quoting DieselsMom:

Quoting Hollybriann:

Clubpenguin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM
It helped that two other girls were pregnant. I got pregnant 3 months into a new job. I waited until I had a due date confirmed by my doctor so I could fill out paperwork for maternity leave.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN