Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

iPads in school?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM
  • 14 Replies
This school year my 2 8th graders will be issued iPads the first week of school. Well I think there are a lot of benefits to this, I still worry that they will lose them, break them and not care for them properly. We got packets in the mail with all the info to read, I haven't gone through the whole thing yet and both will sit and read front to back before signing it.

This year I had to pay $85 for a missing English book, that thankfully was found an my check was returned! I'm not prepared to pay for an iPad.

Anyone else have experience with having them provided at school? How did it go?

(I'm at work and will check this out later) :)
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM
We get iPads here too. There is insurance on them. The school does not pay for the loss, nor do parents. The leasing company handles it.
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM

My kids are not at the age yet.  I have heard of school systems starting to issue iPads and laptops.  I am not sure how the fees are planned out.

JessicaR7
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM
We (the parents) provide iPads at my sons school. One parent was worried about other kids breaking his kids' iPad and who would be responsible for payment. I feel like, as parents, there is always a certain amount of risk. If another kid breaks my kids glasses at school and they don't offer to pay...I can't make them. It's part of the unforeseen costs of raising kids.
LoriAnn87
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM

My son is going into kindgertan in the fall and one of the school supplies he needs is ear buds because they will be using Ipads in the classroom. We don't have to provide them the school will.

-KJ
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM
I know they just need to learn more responsibility, I just worry about it! What's your opinion on the use of then for class?

Quoting JessicaR7:

We (the parents) provide iPads at my sons school. One parent was worried about other kids breaking his kids' iPad and who would be responsible for payment. I feel like, as parents, there is always a certain amount of risk. If another kid breaks my kids glasses at school and they don't offer to pay...I can't make them. It's part of the unforeseen costs of raising kids.

RADmomma
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:14 PM
I haven't warmed up to the idea yet. High school I can understand burnt I'm in the fence with the younger kids.
-KJ
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Our school is starting in 7th grade, my kids are going to 8th but this will be the first year it's in effect.

Quoting RADmomma:

I haven't warmed up to the idea yet. High school I can understand burnt I'm in the fence with the younger kids.

KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM
The fifth graders here have to have a tablet iPad or something else like it if not the school issues them in to use during school hours. In not sure how it all works out though. We are only in preschool
LAXmom21
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:18 PM

We got Macbook Air Pros and you HAD to buy the insurance, this is for the high school. The laptops were free the insurance was $200 for the 4 years, less if they got the laptop as a junior or senior.

Mrs.Missi
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:21 PM
All the kids in our district are getting I pads or Mac Book Airs. We pay 50 dollars & have to go to an orientation with our child. That will also cover book fees for the year. They also get a special backpack to carry it in.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)