Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Tennessee Mommies! My sister needs some help

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM
  • 26 Replies

My sister finally divorce her husband of 6 years about 2 months ago. In their parenting decree, no one can go anywhere out of state without the other parent's consent. They have joint custody of a 5 year old boy. The father moved 3 days ago to another state and told my sister she would have to move there if she wanted to see her son. She called the cops and they said they can't do anything and she would have to get a lawyer. Today, she tries to call her exhusband and his phone is off. As well as his girlfriend's phone whom he moved away with. She attempted to call the cops again and still nothing they can do. Is there any hope for her at all? The father was never really a father to this kid until he started dating this other girl. I believe she has something to do with this. I'm livid and my sister is in tears (I can't blame her).

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soon2bmmy
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:28 PM

She better get a lawyer and fast and make sure she brings the parenting decree with her!

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I would like to know the law as well for Tennessee. 

My cousins ex wife, just moved there with his sons, and there is an emergancy court hearing for tomorrow morning...my cousin will most likely get custody of the boys. 

but won't be able to go get the boys because we don't know how the laws are down there......

sorry i'm no help and jacked your post. 

MaNdYbEaR2010
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Bump
hunnybunny2001
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:30 PM
If it is in the court papers it should be legally binding.. did you sis show the police the court papers? If so she will probably have to take him to court .. in the state of California that would be a form of parental kidnapping. My uncle just went threw this and won full sole
CrystalYaris
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:31 PM

You didn't jack my post. It's all good

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

My cousins ex wife, just moved there with his sons, and there is an emergancy court hearing for tomorrow morning...my cousin will most likely get custody of the boys. 

but won't be able to go get the boys because we don't know how the laws are down there......

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM

okay. good. 

i'm sorry about your sister. 

your sisters ex, tech kidnapped those children. and he will most likely go to jail.

Quoting CrystalYaris:

You didn't jack my post. It's all good

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

aj23
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I'm assuming since they were married he is on the birth certificate and if so she really does need a lawyer and needs to get one ASAP and they can file contempt charges since its in the divorce decree. Thats really all she can do at this point without getting into major trouble herself.

What will likely happen is he will get served with papers (if they can find  him) and have so much time to return the kids or face charges and it won't be until he willing brings them back or he is arrested that she will get them back. She needs to contact the state where he went too to see if they can be of any help. But she needs to move fast. 

aj23
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:59 PM

If she gets custody of the kids in the court then they will require him to return the kids in 24 - 48 hours and bring them back to where she is or they will put out a warrant for him. If she knows where they are she can take the court papers saying she has custody to the local police station and they will send an officer with her to pick up the kids. 
They pretty much just follow what the court orders say if it's one parent has full custody but if it's joint custody they can't do much because. It's a tricky area.  

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM

she is the ran who ran. 

i did clearly state that. 

Quoting aj23:

If she gets custody of the kids in the court then they will require him to return the kids in 24 - 48 hours and bring them back to where she is or they will put out a warrant for him. If she knows where they are she can take the court papers saying she has custody to the local police station and they will send an officer with her to pick up the kids. 
They pretty much just follow what the court orders say if it's one parent has full custody but if it's joint custody they can't do much because. It's a tricky area.  

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

CrystalYaris
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I've told her it is kidnapping. The thing that breaks my heart for her even more is the fact her birth mother is just shrugging it off and won't help her find a lawyer.

Quoting hunnybunny2001:

If it is in the court papers it should be legally binding.. did you sis show the police the court papers? If so she will probably have to take him to court .. in the state of California that would be a form of parental kidnapping. My uncle just went threw this and won full sole

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN