Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would this bother you. What would you do? Not a post for bashing

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM
  • 48 Replies
2 moms liked this

My friend has a sister who abuses the system.   She will go food pantry hopping for free food.   The food pantries by us will ask for proof of income and proof of where you live.  That's because food supplies are limited at times.   Most places will give to those in a designated distance of their location.  Then also to people a designated income or less.  That's based on size of family.    You can only get food at a place once a month.  Friends sister don't tell them she gets money in cash from a bf who lives with her.  He pays half of everything. Well her name is on the apartment lease, utilities etc. Her son is an adult and no longer lives at home. So it's just 2 of them.  She brags how she has all this food.  Her cubboards are loaded.  Her upright freezer is full of frozen meats/foods.   My friend tells her sister.  That's taking food out of really really poor peoples mouths. Many of them kids.  The sister says So what. I need it.  We eat a lot of food.  Making all these excuses why she feels she can take things from the food pantries.  When she can afford her own food.  Friend says what about the 600$ a month your bf gives you for half the bills. You live pretty well on your income and of the bf's.  She says No one knows about that.  I don't tell them that. Since there is no proof I get money from my bf.   Friend says she almost wanted to turn  her sister in to the one place she gets free stuff from.  But says she has no proof if the bf gives her sister money or not.   I am all for helping the poor out.  I bake for our church.  That does a turn once a month for the meal program that feeds the poor.  I give food and or money to our parishes St. Vincent De Paul Society that runs a food pantry.  Figuring one day we might be so poor.  I might have to go to a food pantry for help. But as long as we're eating ok each month.  I try to help those less off when I can. Ir annoys me people will abuse the system. The people who truly need help don't get it.  If you had proof someone was abusing the system like this. Would you turn them in.   

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2007mommy2be
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I would turn them in.
bearsbabies
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:16 PM
I would mention it to the food pantry and let them make their own decisions
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:22 PM

That's what I told my friend. Proof or not.    Say your sister brags of all this food she has.  How she says the bf gives her money for half of everything.   Let them decide how they want to handle it.  I know if I heard the friends sister say what she says.  I'd turn her in.  

Quoting bearsbabies:

I would mention it to the food pantry and let them make their own decisions

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:22 PM

turn them in. 

and how much food can they really go through if it's only 2 people? 

we barely go through the food i buy  for the month.

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Not trying to be mean. This friends sister eats a lot. She is severely overweight.   Then it's known she wastes a lot of the food she gets.  She'll cook all this stuff up. Then they can't eat it all before it goes bad. Then she throws it out. 

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

turn them in. 

mama23brie
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
As someone who has actually NEEDED food pantry services, reading this infuriates me. Yes i would turn her in. In a heart beat.

you know they only give out food that people donate, right? So that means the selection is scarce. So someone like her can come in, pick out all the good food (meat, pasta, snack foods, fruit and baked goods) and someone like me comes along when they can and has to pick thru beans rice and canned goods. Its total bull.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:28 PM

that and it's most likely expired as well. 

Quoting mama23brie:

As someone who has actually NEEDED food pantry services, reading this infuriates me. Yes i would turn her in. In a heart beat.

you know they only give out food that people donate, right? So that means the selection is scarce. So someone like her can come in, pick out all the good food (meat, pasta, snack foods, fruit and baked goods) and someone like me comes along when they can and has to pick thru beans rice and canned goods. Its total bull.

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:32 PM

i don't care how fat she is. 

there is no reason for two people to go through that much food in a month, let alone a week. 

i got chicken in my freezer from two months ago

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

Not trying to be mean. This friends sister eats a lot. She is severely overweight.   Then it's known she wastes a lot of the food she gets.  She'll cook all this stuff up. Then they can't eat it all before it goes bad. Then she throws it out. 

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

turn them in. 

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:34 PM

yes it would really bother me if I knew someone was doing this.

SamNStefanMommy
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:56 PM
3 moms liked this

I turned my ex in when he stole my sons' social security cards so he could say that they lived with him to get extra food from the pantry. I hate seeing people get services they don't need. I knew a chick that was on FS and medical and then she was also doing "daycare" for a friend who got child care assistance. Thing is, she never actually watched the kid, and they split the check when it came every month. Turned her lying ass in too, along with the other person who said she was doing the daycare. I NEED my assistance. So when I see others who don't need it, or are working the system, it really pisses me off. People like that are the reason why people think EVERYONE in the system is using it, and doesn't need it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN