Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

why doesnt he just go to bed

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:06 AM
  • 5 Replies
Ds is four and has started this new thing of doing whatever he wants even after I take toys away and put him back to bed or time out. Nothing I do makes him listen to me. My problem is my mom goes behind my back and babies him so all my parenting is screwed over because of her. Now all ds listens to is my bf. I've tried so hard to deal but her consistent screwing me over has told ds he can walk all over me. I have told her time and time again to stop but all she says is sorry and does it again. I'm so tired of this, and no at the current time I don't live with her but she often visits.
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Babylove2014
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:20 AM

That sucks... My daughter is 5 almost 6 and the last year she's been challenging me beyond control! She listens to my husband (her father ) but he seriously does nothin different than I do! She will ask me oer and over again, the same thing no matter how I say no... She's very persistent! Hopefully that will be applied to her school work! LOL as far as your mother... Hmm I would bust her out in front of your son letting them both know that you in fact are the boss..

also explain to ur mm that ths is a critical point for testing him to listen to u and follow direction. If she can't show your son that you two as adults are on the same side, then she might ave to take a break from visiting until you can get his behavior under control!

good luck

Marimaru
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM
2 moms liked this

If my mom continually undermined me in my own house, she wouldn't be back for a while.  I'm sure your son loves her, but she needs to respect you as a mother.

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Thanks, I'll try this

Quoting Babylove2014:

That sucks... My daughter is 5 almost 6 and the last year she's been challenging me beyond control! She listens to my husband (her father ) but he seriously does nothin different than I do! She will ask me oer and over again, the same thing no matter how I say no... She's very persistent! Hopefully that will be applied to her school work! LOL as far as your mother... Hmm I would bust her out in front of your son letting them both know that you in fact are the boss..

also explain to ur mm that ths is a critical point for testing him to listen to u and follow direction. If she can't show your son that you two as adults are on the same side, then she might ave to take a break from visiting until you can get his behavior under control!

good luck

Bleacher-mom
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:37 AM

I understand that it difficult. My son is the first born grandchild ON BOTH SIDES. So it was real difficult for me to keep rules. However, I understand grandparents want to spoil them. I found compromises. Like if mom visits, alow him to stay up say an extra half an hour, but make it clear that once that half hour is up, time for bed and no protests from either one.

About him not staying in his bed, this is what I did when my son was almost 4 when we moved into our first house and he finally had his own room. I set up a chart in his room, if he stayed in bed without playing he would get a star for that night. If he got up or messed around he would get an X. if at the end of the week he didn't have an X he got a reward of sleeping in my bed and watching a movie. Took all of maybe 2 weeks and we didn't even need the chart anymore.

I would have a talk with your mom and explain how difficult it is for you to be a good mom when she constantly undermines you. Find some compromises while she is there that you both will stick to.

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Thanks, I'll see if this will work, my bf and I are looking into getting our own place but not too sure right now.

Quoting Bleacher-mom:

I understand that it difficult. My son is the first born grandchild ON BOTH SIDES. So it was real difficult for me to keep rules. However, I understand grandparents want to spoil them. I found compromises. Like if mom visits, alow him to stay up say an extra half an hour, but make it clear that once that half hour is up, time for bed and no protests from either one.

About him not staying in his bed, this is what I did when my son was almost 4 when we moved into our first house and he finally had his own room. I set up a chart in his room, if he stayed in bed without playing he would get a star for that night. If he got up or messed around he would get an X. if at the end of the week he didn't have an X he got a reward of sleeping in my bed and watching a movie. Took all of maybe 2 weeks and we didn't even need the chart anymore.

I would have a talk with your mom and explain how difficult it is for you to be a good mom when she constantly undermines you. Find some compromises while she is there that you both will stick to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)