Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Neighbor leaving baby home alone - Should I say something? **UPDATE**

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM
  • 114 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, I'm friendly with my neighbor and our son's are good friends.  When I invite her son over to play, she'll walk him over but leave her 18 month old daughter sleeping in her crib at home.  We are about 5 houses away from each other. She doesn't bring a monitor and usually stays and chats for a while.  Yesterday she stayed for over an hour! 

I've asked her if she's worried that her dd will wake up but she says no - that she always sleeps for 3 hrs. She also says that even if her dd did wake up, she'd just play in her crib. She said that her husband doesn't like it when she leaves the baby home alone because he worries about things like - what if there's a fire! But she says, 'what are the chances of that!' and carries on doing what she doees - leaing her dd home alone asleep. 

Does anyone else think this is really strange?  I'm not sure if I should be saying something more to her or trying not to chat with her when she stops over but I don't want to be rude. I like chatting with her and having her over but in the back of my mind, I can't stop thinking of her dd home alone.

Should I say something to her or mind my own business?

**UPDATE**

I suggested that she get a babysitter so she had more free time and didn't have to worry about the baby being home alone (not that she was worried). I gave her a few leads and she said she's going to call them and hire one. 

Her hubby is happy to pay for a sitter and hates that she leaves the baby alone even for just a bit. I'm hoping she has a regular sitter by next week!

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
granmakathy
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM
4 moms liked this

You should be concerned. If this continues she should be turned in to DHS.

ALFimzadi
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:46 AM
8 moms liked this
Don't turn her into DhS just yet, she may just need some suggesting... Next time ask her if she needs or wants a monitor to bring with her, or ask if she is worried that someone would report her to dhs, then she might think differently. I do not advocate dhs involvement unless a child is being seriously neglected or abused, and I have seen DHS take too drastic of actions on cases that just needed some education. If all of that fails, you could always talk to her spouse, and DHS as a last resort.
chrissara1011
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Let her know tha fire is just one hazard, someone could break into her home, the baby could decide to start climbing out of the crib (the do that easily at this age) she could choke, get tangled in blanket,...anything could happen...or simply invite the chld over before she lays the baby down so she must bring her....or next time tell her when she drops the older child off that you are going to let her go because it rattles your nerves and makes you a wreck to think of the baby home alone...it would be one thing if she was just walking over and dropping off the older one but she is visiting....ask yourself are you ging to feel guiltless if somtthing did happen...if nothing works then yes I would talk to husband and as a  LAST resort  call DSS

LoveMyLos
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM
4 moms liked this

id kindly inform her that she is an idiot.

blue123244
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:40 PM
4 moms liked this

People who do such things do not understand how precious their children are - a fire could happen - a person could break in - the baby could panick - It is never ok to leave a child so young alone - NEVER - you should tell her to come with her son and her baby if she wants to come over - otherwise she can't - Your sorry or whatever, but if the baby is not with her when she comes over then she can't - you enjoy her company but etc, etc - 

You know I know how precious my childern are because one of them passed away - and you and no one else that has not experienced it can ever understand the overwhelming grief  - you might think you can, I did once, but the reality of it is a million times worse

AppleJacks2
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

id say something and if she acts like she don't care then take proper action dhs or the police

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM
I had a neighbor that was neglecting her child. I told her and her husband i was a mandated reporter and went over the things that i should have already reported. I told them if i ever saw things like her 2 year old wandering the streets alone again i would call cps. I ended up calling later that week but i didn't feel too bad. I wasn't some sneaky neighbor tattling.
jomami
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Quoting LoveMyLos:

id kindly inform her that she is an idiot.

I need some tips on how to do that. lol 

jomami
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I think she's probably, usually a good mom but this is crazy!

Quoting granmakathy:

You should be concerned. If this continues she should be turned in to DHS.

yorkiemaz
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM

That is disgusting. she needs reporitng!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)