Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If a diagnosis of ASD has effected your marriage?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM
  • 5 Replies

I want to get the spark back so much.  It seems the stress of providing has gotten to him and he tends to (sorry for saying this) neglect me.  I love affection in any way from him.  At least I have an affectionate little 4 yr old boy who's favorite person is mommy:) Any advice?  He's not the spice it up kind.  He would laugh. I only started neglecting when it felt as if he wasn't interested anymore. Confusing? 

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MusherMaggie
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM
I'm a little slow--what's ASD?
clancycostello
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Sorry! Autistic Spectrum Disorder.  It puts a stress on your relationship sometimes because you both live for making your son's life easier and ways to do that. Thanks for asking:)

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM

You may need more "adult time" which can be just a dinner out by yourselves or going ot a movie theater.  Ban any talk of home for that time and work on reconnecting as a couple.

Imjustinsmommy
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:35 PM

im not sure what you're asking.. you  lo has ASD and you feel you lost he spark or your dh has? im not sure who is neglecting who.. but my son has special needs.. maybe not  on the spectrum.. depends who you ask.. most say no but thats a whole other story.. he has delays & sensory issues.. & it takes alot of patience & dealings with his school & services but  in general no, i dont find it takes our time  away.. its like any other " kids in the way" situtation.. at least for us..  were tired at the end of the day just from have 2 crazy boys spectrum or not & yes one is more work than the other w/ his needs but we work together & it keeps us close. yes at times we pass up romance or sex for sleep lol but he still checks me out &  pinches my butt & we send flirty texts & playful remarks to eachother often.. i know its hard with kids, work, even more with the stres of a child  with asd or any other need.. BUT the bottomline i think is how a couple copes.. either together or  against or not with the other.. i still love my dh & im very attracted to him &  we wor hard on our marriage & friendship just  as hadr as we do  for any thing else out kids need bc  1st we love to be happy together &  also.. our kids NEED  us  to be happy.. its part of his therapy!! a happy mommy & daddy who he see;s shows affections together.. they love it.. think of it as part of what you do for your son.

do NOT pull away or negelect  it does notthing but cause a further drift.. flirt, talk, connect.. 

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:38 PM
It's important to have mommy and daddy time. I don't know a whole lot about ASD but having had a child withADHD symptoms I understand that having a child that isn't "normal" can be exhausting and hard on the parents relationship. Take a regular break... Find someone who understands your son's situation to watch him for a couple of hours every week at the very least every month. You and you husband go out and just enjoy talking to each other about anything but home and your son. It will be hard at first but you will get there
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)