Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

New mom/post partum depression?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM
  • 8 Replies
I recently (6-9-13) had an emergency c section after a scheduled induction. It was my plan to go natural but after a deceleration in my sons heartbeat, our plans were quickly changed. 6 doctors ran in the room and scrubs were thrown at my husband. I was quickly prepped and brought to the or for an emergency c section.

Nowadays, all is well. Little one and I are home after a 3 day stay in the hospital.

Lately I've been feeling very upset, crying a lot, not interested in eating.

Has anyone else had similar feelings? How dis you manage to get out of the funk?

Also my little one has his days and nights mixed up. So that's stressing me out too. Lack of sleep...

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! :-)
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
babymamalover84
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Is he your first baby? It can take a while for you to get back to normal physically and emotionally. Your hormones are still out of whack. My now 2 year old had her nights and days mixed up when she was a newborn and it was stressful but I would lay down with her and she would fall asleep on my chest listening to my heartbeat. She is still like this sometimes and she loves laying on my chest. You will be okay.
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Welcome!  Congrats on your new little one.  :)

Have you spoken with your doctor about what's going on?  There could be a physical reason why you're going through feelings of depression that your doctor can help with or you might be experiencing post partum depression, which there is also something that can be done to help you.

(((hug)))

Etr1123
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Thanks! Yeah, he's my first. I spoke with my doctor and they gave me a prescription but it can pass into the breast milk supply. I'm trying to see if I'll feel better in a few weeks. I'd rather not be on medication.

Thanks for your advice. It's greatly appreciated! :-)
sissyboogs
by Katie on Jul. 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Exercise. Try to eat well. Find time to sleep--even if its during the day while baby naps. Take time for yourself when you can. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

I went through terrible PPD, so if you need someone to talk to that truly understands and won't judge, feel free to PM me.

Quoting Etr1123:

Thanks! Yeah, he's my first. I spoke with my doctor and they gave me a prescription but it can pass into the breast milk supply. I'm trying to see if I'll feel better in a few weeks. I'd rather not be on medication.

Thanks for your advice. It's greatly appreciated! :-)
Thunderbug75
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I had PPD also.  What did the Dr prescribe?  Zoloft is safe for breast feeding Moms and I believe Celexa is also.  I also saw a therapist for one session.  He decided my problem was the lack of sleep and that once the baby started sleeping more I would feel better. (REALLY)  The thing that really pulled me out of my funk was going back to work.  Getting out of the house and back into a routine really helped me. I stopped my meds shortly after returning to work.  Good luck and hugs!

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Hugs! Have you talked to your doctor about other drugs for PPD? Good luck!

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

MusherMaggie
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Can you co-sleep with your baby? It will make night time nursing much easier. Come on over to the breastfeeding moms group, too, for support & information, including medication information.
Navix
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I'm actually having my first baby in November and have heard about post partum depression and to be honest and very nervous about developing it. Even though my baby isn't here yet, it's helpful to read up on all the various things that come before, during and after pregnancy just to prepare for the worst. I've been doing research on all kinds of things (probably too much research!) and I found this article on ppd which is a good one to check out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)