Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
George zimmermen is a free man

by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Replies (11-20):
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I was saying the same thing.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Free? Not likely. He is going to have to move to Alaska or somethig

newmomat22
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this

so sad for the boy and his family but their was no case against him for murder. IMO as wrong as it was of GZ to even have had a gun on neighborhood watch the verdict was right. No amount of riot will bring him back sadly. 

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't know what to think about this disappointing, but somewhat anticipated verdict, but I do know what I think about the sorry state of our country's position about race and what it means in America. 

We chose to raise our son in what we thought of as an enlightened and diverse community. He had friends of different races, ethnicities, economic standing, and creeds. A number of years ago as our "little boys" became first tweens and then teenagers I was shocked to come to understand that the mothers of boys of color, no matter where we lived or how middle class our existence, were deeply aware and truly frightened by the realities of raising a male child of color in our society. They feared for the well being and very lives of their sons as well as their future because the reality is that, in this country, being a male child of color comes with all the weight, and threat, of history. 

I will not say that this jury in Florida got it wrong, that isn't for me to say. I will say that our country has got something wrong. It's 2013 and a child of seventeen who no one has been able to say did anything wrong in the minutes leading up to his encounter with Mr. Zimmerman is dead and the law was unable to prove that the man that killed him did anything wrong because he had the right to defend himself in the eyes of that same law.

That Mr. Zimmerman was entirely responsible for the confrontation in the first place, that the only threat there was in Mr. Zimmerman's head, that he had no business doing what he did, or having a loaded gun while he did it seems so obvious to me that it practically is screaming to be heard. But somehow in America in 2013 a teenager of color in a hoodie represents enough of a threat that the law and this jury legitimately think that those issues have no sway over the idea that because he saw a teenager of color that he did not know in what he considered "his" neighborhood he felt he could challenge him. When whatever happened led to a physical confrontation Mr. Zimmerman was, according to this case and its outcome, justified in fearing for his life and well being and so had the right to defend himself sounds to me like a self fulfilling phophacy that anyone with a gun can make happen.

I am saddened, for the child that will never get the chance to grow up, for his family that must live with the grief of having lost their child, and for our country that cannot find the courage to address the horrible and costly legacy of racial injustice. Being a teenager of color in a hoodie isn't a crime, it isn't a threat to anyone and that Trayvon Martin died is simply wrong.

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Then that mother should have been keeping a better eye in him.

Or getting him the help he needed. Like rehab or etc.

I cant imagine, but if this kid was being given the proper attention and guiddence this wouldnt have haappened

Quoting godsgirl26:

People on FB are going nuts.. I feel so sorry for the mom to lose a son at such a young age.

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Right bear arms.

Quoting newmomat22:

so sad for the boy and his family but their was no case against him for murder. IMO as wrong as it was of GZ to even have had a gun on neighborhood watch the verdict was right. No amount of riot will bring him back sadly. 

goodmama85
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm beyond fucking disgusted.once again the justice system fails especially in Florida.his punk ass better fucking go into hiding where that cunt Casey Anthony is.

Quoting Army_Mom_2_Boyz:

I am DISGUSTED!
MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Because that child attacked zimmerman first...an that was proven.

Secondly, you know how many scholarships, after school programs etc there are for a person of color?

Quoting GaleJ:

I don't know what to think about this disappointing, but somewhat anticipated verdict, but I do know what I think about the sorry state of our country's position about race and what it means in America. 

We chose to raise our son in what we thought of as an enlightened and diverse community. He had friends of different races, ethnicities, economic standing, and creeds. A number of years ago as our "little boys" became first tweens and then teenagers I was shocked to come to understand that the mothers of boys of color, no matter where we lived or how middle class our existence, were deeply aware and truly frightened by the realities of raising a male child of color in our society. They feared for the well being and very lives of their sons as well as their future because the reality is that, in this country, being a male child of color comes with all the weight, and threat, of history. 

I will not say that this jury in Florida got it wrong, that isn't for me to say. I will say that our country has got something wrong. It's 2013 and a child of seventeen who no one has been able to say did anything wrong in the minutes leading up to his encounter with Mr. Zimmerman is dead and the law was unable to prove that the man that killed him did anything wrong because he had the right to defend himself in the eyes of that same law.

That Mr. Zimmerman was entirely responsible for the confrontation in the first place, that the only threat there was in Mr. Zimmerman's head, that he had no business doing what he did, or having a loaded gun while he did it seems so obvious to me that it practically is screaming to be heard. But somehow in America in 2013 a teenager of color in a hoodie represents enough of a threat that the law and this jury legitimately think that those issues have no sway over the idea that because he saw a teenager of color that he did not know in what he considered "his" neighborhood he felt he could challenge him. When whatever happened led to a physical confrontation Mr. Zimmerman was, according to this case and its outcome, justified in fearing for his life and well being and so had the right to defend himself sounds to me like a self fulfilling phophacy that anyone with a gun can make happen.

I am saddened, for the child that will never get the chance to grow up, for his family that must live with the grief of having lost their child, and for our country that cannot find the courage to address the horrible and costly legacy of racial injustice. Being a teenager of color in a hoodie isn't a crime, it isn't a threat to anyone and that Trayvon Martin died is simply wrong.

TattoomamaPink
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I agree...

Quoting godsgirl26:

People on FB are going nuts.. I feel so sorry for the mom to lose a son at such a young age.

goodmama85
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this
You know I bet you would be singing a different tune if this were your son? o.O

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Then that mother should have been keeping a better eye in him.

Or getting him the help he needed. Like rehab or etc.

I cant imagine, but if this kid was being given the proper attention and guiddence this wouldnt have haappened

Quoting godsgirl26:

goodmama85
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Where in the fuck was that proven at??? I call bullshit.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Because that child attacked zimmerman first...an that was proven.

Secondly, you know how many scholarships, after school programs etc there are for a person of color?

Quoting GaleJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)