Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
George zimmermen is a free man

by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Replies (21-30):
MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course id be upset and hurt.

But if i knew that my child was out being a punk and attacked someone for no reason.

Tough shit.

Im a tough love mother....

Dont being doing stupid shit.

Quoting goodmama85:

You know I bet you would be singing a different tune if this were your son? o.O

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Then that mother should have been keeping a better eye in him.

Or getting him the help he needed. Like rehab or etc.

I cant imagine, but if this kid was being given the proper attention and guiddence this wouldnt have haappened

Quoting godsgirl26:

People on FB are going nuts.. I feel so sorry for the mom to lose a son at such a young age.

lovebugs_mom906
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Based on the evidence, I believe the verdict to be accurate. Zimmerman broke no laws. Is it a tragedy for Martin's family? Absolutely. The sad thing is, either one of them could have stopped the events of that night if they would've put their egos aside for just a minute. Now 2 families are destroyed, one person is dead, and another might as well be. Zimmerman won't be going back to a y kind of a normal life anytime soon.
GaleJ
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree. Nothing in the trial proved that Trayvon Martin attacked Mr. Zimmerman. The prosecution failed to prove that Mr. Zimmerman did anything wrong in killing Trayvon Martin because in the eyes of the law Mr. Zimmerman had a right to defend himself if he felt threat to his well being or life. That there was a physical confrontation, I do not believe, is in dispute, but the question in my mind is why is the presumption made that Mr. Zimmerman was justified in his feeling the need for self defense while Trayvon Martin was not. Trayvon Martin was not proved to have been doing anything wrong when Mr. Zimmerman got out of his car against the advice of the police and followed him because of his suspicions. The point for me is that those suspicions were based only on the fact that Trayvon was a young man of color, was wearing a hoodie, and was unknown to Mr. Zimmerman, none of which is a crime. I can only imagine what threat Trayvon felt being obviously followed for an unknown reason because he is dead and cannot speak for himself or how he felt to be followed.

As to your second point I have no idea what point that makes in this discussion so I will not respond except to say Trayvon Martin will never again have a chance to pursue such opportunities. 

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Because that child attacked zimmerman first...an that was proven.

Secondly, you know how many scholarships, after school programs etc there are for a person of color?

Quoting GaleJ:

I don't know what to think about this disappointing, but somewhat anticipated verdict, but I do know what I think about the sorry state of our country's position about race and what it means in America. 

We chose to raise our son in what we thought of as an enlightened and diverse community. He had friends of different races, ethnicities, economic standing, and creeds. A number of years ago as our "little boys" became first tweens and then teenagers I was shocked to come to understand that the mothers of boys of color, no matter where we lived or how middle class our existence, were deeply aware and truly frightened by the realities of raising a male child of color in our society. They feared for the well being and very lives of their sons as well as their future because the reality is that, in this country, being a male child of color comes with all the weight, and threat, of history. 

I will not say that this jury in Florida got it wrong, that isn't for me to say. I will say that our country has got something wrong. It's 2013 and a child of seventeen who no one has been able to say did anything wrong in the minutes leading up to his encounter with Mr. Zimmerman is dead and the law was unable to prove that the man that killed him did anything wrong because he had the right to defend himself in the eyes of that same law.

That Mr. Zimmerman was entirely responsible for the confrontation in the first place, that the only threat there was in Mr. Zimmerman's head, that he had no business doing what he did, or having a loaded gun while he did it seems so obvious to me that it practically is screaming to be heard. But somehow in America in 2013 a teenager of color in a hoodie represents enough of a threat that the law and this jury legitimately think that those issues have no sway over the idea that because he saw a teenager of color that he did not know in what he considered "his" neighborhood he felt he could challenge him. When whatever happened led to a physical confrontation Mr. Zimmerman was, according to this case and its outcome, justified in fearing for his life and well being and so had the right to defend himself sounds to me like a self fulfilling phophacy that anyone with a gun can make happen.

I am saddened, for the child that will never get the chance to grow up, for his family that must live with the grief of having lost their child, and for our country that cannot find the courage to address the horrible and costly legacy of racial injustice. Being a teenager of color in a hoodie isn't a crime, it isn't a threat to anyone and that Trayvon Martin died is simply wrong.

SpnFulOfSugar
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Good he did not break any laws.
Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM
4 moms liked this

Unless you watched the whole trial and analyzed all the evidence as the jury did we really can't make an impartial decision. We have heard what the media has wanted us to hear but no where near what the jury did. 

EmmaGlenn20
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Good. Because he was not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Unfortunately, people don't care about the justice system when it doesn't work in their favour so he'll probably be assassinated.
yassahmom
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM
My heart goes out to his mom cuz its like she lost her son all over again
newmomat22
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:27 PM

true but being devils advocate over here  he was playing cop even after being told not to follow. I stll think  the verdict was correct as sad as the situation is and heart breaking as it is. 

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Right bear arms.

Quoting newmomat22:

so sad for the boy and his family but their was no case against him for murder. IMO as wrong as it was of GZ to even have had a gun on neighborhood watch the verdict was right. No amount of riot will bring him back sadly. 

GMom2011
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:00 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't believe that Zimmerman should have been convicted of murder. What he did wasn't premeditated. I understand his concern about Trayvon because the neighborhood had several break ins by black, male youth during those weeks.

However, he was told by officers to back down and let them do their job. He didn't. In my view, this was a clear case of involuntary manslaughter.

I think the prosecution went to far with murder charges. There wasn't enough evidence to support that and most lawyers I have heard speaking on this said if this was black on black, or white on white, this case never would have gone to trial to begin with.

Trayvon also could have ran home and told his dad someone was following him. Or he could have just told Zimmerman that he was visiting his dad. He didn't have to be aggressive either. There is some fault on his end too.

What disgusts me is that this was not a white man who killed this teenager. It was a Hispanic man. But because he appears white, this has once again become a black vs white issue. I agree racism is alive and well. I have seen it enough to know. But not every white person is racist. How many cases of a black person that commits a crime on a white person it's just violence? But the second the role is reversed it's a race issue?

I can't wait till racism dies once and for all. I hate the fact that as a white person, I am to blame for racism, and every other horrible thing that happens to a minority. Despite the fact no one in my family had slaves, or supported slavery.

As a mother of a boy. I too worry about raising him in a society so divided. I worry that someday he may get into a fight with another boy who is not the same color, and be charged with a hate crime and spend a decade in prison for something that would not happen if he fought a boy if the same race.

It's to the point now that a white person can't even disagree with a person of color, without being called a racist. You can't disagree with the President because you think he is wrong, without being called a racist.

Racism can't ever die until both sides can start with a clean slate and stop raising future generations with hate, fear, and mistrust for those not like them. And that goes for all races.

Zimmerman should have been charged with involuntary manslaughter and be in jail. The woman who fired a warning shot to keep her abusive husband away from her should be free, and the judge should be thrown off the bench for such a ridiculous verdict.

When it comes to laws, skin color should never be admissible.
momofsixangels
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting GMom2011:

I don't believe that Zimmerman should have been convicted of murder. What he did wasn't premeditated. I understand his concern about Trayvon because the neighborhood had several break ins by black, male youth during those weeks.

However, he was told by officers to back down and let them do their job. He didn't. In my view, this was a clear case of involuntary manslaughter.

I think the prosecution went to far with murder charges. There wasn't enough evidence to support that and most lawyers I have heard speaking on this said if this was black on black, or white on white, this case never would have gone to trial to begin with.

Trayvon also could have ran home and told his dad someone was following him. Or he could have just told Zimmerman that he was visiting his dad. He didn't have to be aggressive either. There is some fault on his end too.

What disgusts me is that this was not a white man who killed this teenager. It was a Hispanic man. But because he appears white, this has once again become a black vs white issue. I agree racism is alive and well. I have seen it enough to know. But not every white person is racist. How many cases of a black person that commits a crime on a white person it's just violence? But the second the role is reversed it's a race issue?

I can't wait till racism dies once and for all. I hate the fact that as a white person, I am to blame for racism, and every other horrible thing that happens to a minority. Despite the fact no one in my family had slaves, or supported slavery.

As a mother of a boy. I too worry about raising him in a society so divided. I worry that someday he may get into a fight with another boy who is not the same color, and be charged with a hate crime and spend a decade in prison for something that would not happen if he fought a boy if the same race.

It's to the point now that a white person can't even disagree with a person of color, without being called a racist. You can't disagree with the President because you think he is wrong, without being called a racist.

Racism can't ever die until both sides can start with a clean slate and stop raising future generations with hate, fear, and mistrust for those not like them. And that goes for all races.

Zimmerman should have been charged with involuntary manslaughter and be in jail. The woman who fired a warning shot to keep her abusive husband away from her should be free, and the judge should be thrown off the bench for such a ridiculous verdict.

When it comes to laws, skin color should never be admissible.

So true! And zimmermean wasnt the one that used a racial slur. Trayvon did. Im so sick of everyone always making it about color.If someone calls someone stupid or ugly dont those words hurt? Or fat or zit face. Seriously all words can hurt. Its not always about color. What about if an african american kills a white person? I dont see protests and the president stepping in. What about caylee anthony or all the other kids killed?Why didnt he step in for them? It seems like its one sided b/c of color and its about damn time people get over the color issue and deal with the real issue. Kids are dying! Who gives a crap of what color they are.They are kids!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN