Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
George zimmermen is a free man

by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Replies (41-50):
Happy2BDomestic
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Feel sorry for the family for their loss but this has been a total witch hunt.

KellBell0820
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this. The whole situation could have been avoided by both parties but it wasn't. Instead a tragic incident occured and the media grabbed a hold of it and created something much larger.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I think this is a good example of the attitude that I imagine got the young man into trouble.  Rather than being afraid and finding help, he was outraged.  He attacked zimmerman rather than going to a house or back to the store, as I told my kids to do if they ever felt like they were being followed.  What was not disclosed in the trial is that his backpack did have stolen jewlery in it.  wedding  rings, diamonds, etc that he said were not his.  He also had a screwdriver.  He had been suspended from school for drugs.  He was not the fresh faced youth they try to portray in pictures.  

So what we have is a near adult with a criminal history who rather than talking to the man following him, pins him to the ground and smashes his  head into the ground....

I can honestly tell you my kids will never be in this situation.   They arent hateful and angry.  they arent criminals.  

Quoting goodmama85:

Call is it as I see fit don't like it? I don't give a shit that's my opinion.

Quoting GMom2011:

Faggot? You just lost any credibility to comment.

Quoting goodmama85:

Murder is fucking murder.i can't believe some of these comment,maybe it will happen to of y'all kids one day and let's see if y'all say the same bullshit ya saying now.the murdering faggot gets to go home to his family and walk around like nothing fucking happened? I hope someone kills him and makes him suffer.

TachaStylz
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I don't think anyone is actually free in this situation. I think that when someone takes a life whether people think it was right or wrong that person has to carry that blood on there hands for the rest of their lives. The family has to endure the pain and loss of a child. No parent wants to bury their child first. it should be children that bury ther parents. So, this is a sad situation for everyone. Is Mr. Zimmerman truly free I mean after all can he live his life as he use to before this all trasnpired? Can we all really be happy at was has happened, a young person died who could be anybody's son, brother, nephew, cousin, friend? It's touchy all around. I pray that the family heals and moves on gradually and that Mr. Zimmerman can have peace of mind and walk the streets without fear.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM
*clapping*
I agree wearing a hoodie is not a crime or thug attire as suggested.

Quoting GaleJ:

I don't know what to think about this disappointing, but somewhat anticipated verdict, but I do know what I think about the sorry state of our country's position about race and what it means in America. 

We chose to raise our son in what we thought of as an enlightened and diverse community. He had friends of different races, ethnicities, economic standing, and creeds. A number of years ago as our "little boys" became first tweens and then teenagers I was shocked to come to understand that the mothers of boys of color, no matter where we lived or how middle class our existence, were deeply aware and truly frightened by the realities of raising a male child of color in our society. They feared for the well being and very lives of their sons as well as their future because the reality is that, in this country, being a male child of color comes with all the weight, and threat, of history. 

I will not say that this jury in Florida got it wrong, that isn't for me to say. I will say that our country has got something wrong. It's 2013 and a child of seventeen who no one has been able to say did anything wrong in the minutes leading up to his encounter with Mr. Zimmerman is dead and the law was unable to prove that the man that killed him did anything wrong because he had the right to defend himself in the eyes of that same law.

That Mr. Zimmerman was entirely responsible for the confrontation in the first place, that the only threat there was in Mr. Zimmerman's head, that he had no business doing what he did, or having a loaded gun while he did it seems so obvious to me that it practically is screaming to be heard. But somehow in America in 2013 a teenager of color in a hoodie represents enough of a threat that the law and this jury legitimately think that those issues have no sway over the idea that because he saw a teenager of color that he did not know in what he considered "his" neighborhood he felt he could challenge him. When whatever happened led to a physical confrontation Mr. Zimmerman was, according to this case and its outcome, justified in fearing for his life and well being and so had the right to defend himself sounds to me like a self fulfilling phophacy that anyone with a gun can make happen.

I am saddened, for the child that will never get the chance to grow up, for his family that must live with the grief of having lost their child, and for our country that cannot find the courage to address the horrible and costly legacy of racial injustice. Being a teenager of color in a hoodie isn't a crime, it isn't a threat to anyone and that Trayvon Martin died is simply wrong.

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh I didnt realize his crime was wearing the hoodie.  I thought it was bashing another mans head into cement that night.  On other nights it was drugs and likely robbery as he had jewelry that was not his along with a flathead screwdriver in his back pack.  The focus seems to be on the hoodie for those that think he was innocent.  Its NOT THE HOODIE.  

Quoting Hottmomma607:

*clapping*

Quoting GaleJ:

I don't know what to think about this disappointing, but somewhat anticipated verdict, but I do know what I think about the sorry state of our country's position about race and what it means in America. 

We chose to raise our son in what we thought of as an enlightened and diverse community. He had friends of different races, ethnicities, economic standing, and creeds. A number of years ago as our "little boys" became first tweens and then teenagers I was shocked to come to understand that the mothers of boys of color, no matter where we lived or how middle class our existence, were deeply aware and truly frightened by the realities of raising a male child of color in our society. They feared for the well being and very lives of their sons as well as their future because the reality is that, in this country, being a male child of color comes with all the weight, and threat, of history. 

I will not say that this jury in Florida got it wrong, that isn't for me to say. I will say that our country has got something wrong. It's 2013 and a child of seventeen who no one has been able to say did anything wrong in the minutes leading up to his encounter with Mr. Zimmerman is dead and the law was unable to prove that the man that killed him did anything wrong because he had the right to defend himself in the eyes of that same law.

That Mr. Zimmerman was entirely responsible for the confrontation in the first place, that the only threat there was in Mr. Zimmerman's head, that he had no business doing what he did, or having a loaded gun while he did it seems so obvious to me that it practically is screaming to be heard. But somehow in America in 2013 a teenager of color in a hoodie represents enough of a threat that the law and this jury legitimately think that those issues have no sway over the idea that because he saw a teenager of color that he did not know in what he considered "his" neighborhood he felt he could challenge him. When whatever happened led to a physical confrontation Mr. Zimmerman was, according to this case and its outcome, justified in fearing for his life and well being and so had the right to defend himself sounds to me like a self fulfilling phophacy that anyone with a gun can make happen.

I am saddened, for the child that will never get the chance to grow up, for his family that must live with the grief of having lost their child, and for our country that cannot find the courage to address the horrible and costly legacy of racial injustice. Being a teenager of color in a hoodie isn't a crime, it isn't a threat to anyone and that Trayvon Martin died is simply wrong.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM
I never said he was innocent! Now did I?
:-)

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Oh I didnt realize his crime was wearing the hoodie.  I thought it was bashing another mans head into cement that night.  On other nights it was drugs and likely robbery as he had jewelry that was not his along with a flathead screwdriver in his back pack.  The focus seems to be on the hoodie for those that think he was innocent.  Its NOT THE HOODIE.  

Quoting Hottmomma607:

*clapping*

Quoting GaleJ:

letstalk747
by Joy on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM

unjust

Ettress
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Not surprised at all by the verdict, but very, very disappointed!!
nosleep156
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I am not happy with the verdict because I think a cold blooded murder got away with killing an innocent child. I have never heard of a neighborhood watch person carrying a gun. Why did he ever get out of the car in the first place? He got out of the car because he was a racist.

babybrooks07
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I think both parties were in the wrong that night. It's sad that all this has boiled down to race.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN