Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Intro

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM
  • 8 Replies
Hi my name is Erika and my son is 3yrs old. My met my spouse in college. Lets see what I like to do on my off time. That is so rare for me I guess I like to go to the movies and eat out, go dancing. Hi everyone my question is how do I deal with the meltdowns and the hitting. It drives me crazy.
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jconney80
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Hi welcome! I give very clear, direct choices and consequences to stop behaviors like that. "If you don't stop hitting I"m taking this toy away" etc. 

Reina13
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Hi Erika! Welcome to the group.

You have hit the fun part of parenting..lol toddlers and meltdowns.

I have found that having a schedule and sticking to it helps a lot. Redirecting as well as being firm was key with my boys. 

You may also want to check out this section of the Toddlers & Preschoolers group. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Welcome to the group Erica,
I like the suggestions of the others,
Gibe choices of what will happen if not acceptable behavior.
Good luck :)

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Welcome Erika!

At 3 years old, your son likely understands what he's doing when throws a tantrum or starts hitting someone.  The advice other ladies gave you about redirecting is good, but maybe when he's calm, talk to him about his behavior, ask him why he did it and explain why it's not ok.

2hotMoms
by New Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Thank you all for your advice and I will try it. Wish me luck. Is there anything I could do during the meltdown or because he is autistic his whole focus is on the meltdown and I should wait until he is done?
RADmomma
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Welcome & good luck.
LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Hi Erika! Welcome! Consistency is the answer. Do the same thing over and over, and they will learn that when they do this they get punished. IE things taken away, time outs) Good luck!

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Welcome to the group, Erika! It's nice to meet you! Like the others said, you need to be firm and clear and consistent with every time he hits you or throws a fit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)