Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

birthday parties*

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:38 AM
  • 18 Replies

My sons birthday party is coming up in September he is turning 7 and I am planning the birthday party. My ex texted me asking me if this year he was getting invited him and his family. All the other birthdays we have never done a birthday together we have always done separate ones for the fact that our families do not get along and it's always high conflict.

So I told him no. I told him he is able to take him the day of his party either before his party or after his party doesn't bother me which he decides and he can also throw him a birthday party of his own as well. Did I handle this right?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

The childishness keeps going.  7 years and you still haven't grown up.  So sad for your child

AAP1988
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM

He is the one who is the child, My family would just ignore him and his family his mom is the one who causes drama. And also I cannot afford to have 10-15 extra people at the party. I don't see why he cannot have his own? 

Quoting erinsmom1964:

The childishness keeps going.  7 years and you still haven't grown up.  So sad for your child

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Blah....Blah....Blah...stroke my ego and make me feel better about what a childish, immature twit I am. SERIOUSLY grow up for your sons sake.  Get a different hobby than  thinking of ways to make your immediate families lives miserable.  Go volunteer somewhere and see what people with real problems how they live. 

Quoting AAP1988:

He is the one who is the child, My family would just ignore him and his family his mom is the one who causes drama. And also I cannot afford to have 10-15 extra people at the party. I don't see why he cannot have his own? 

Quoting erinsmom1964:

AAP1988
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I don't make my families life horrible at all but thank you for your assumption =) 

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Blah....Blah....Blah...stroke my ego and make me feel better about what a childish, immature twit I am. SERIOUSLY grow up for your sons sake.  Get a different hobby than  thinking of ways to make your immediate families lives miserable.  Go volunteer somewhere and see what people with real problems how they live. 

Quoting AAP1988:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

wow, can people not make decisions without the assistance of an internet website. wow

baileerichey
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I am a step mom and its been a hard struggle, as of right now we still do separate party's only because the child is actually just turning 3, but I can say if his mother or my husband ever wanted to have the part together for the child's sake I would be all for it, and as for the family members who couldn't understand I would just ask them not to come. If they can't respect that you do things out of love for your child then why hinder your pride and joy from celebrating with his mom and dad together just because someone else doesn't like it! Me having a relationship with my step sons mother gas been the best thing that's ever happened to me. We take him to the movies together, eat lunch some days on pick up and drop offs and even communicate with each other! It's truly changed my step sons life to see me and his mother interact! He feels like he can come to either of us at any time!! I'd say throw the party together, such up the pride (I did it, it sucks but so worth it) and give your child what they deserve!!!!!!

AAP1988
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM

My whole family doesn't get along with his and vice versa. That means we would be the only ones there. Lol

Quoting baileerichey:

I am a step mom and its been a hard struggle, as of right now we still do separate party's only because the child is actually just turning 3, but I can say if his mother or my husband ever wanted to have the part together for the child's sake I would be all for it, and as for the family members who couldn't understand I would just ask them not to come. If they can't respect that you do things out of love for your child then why hinder your pride and joy from celebrating with his mom and dad together just because someone else doesn't like it! Me having a relationship with my step sons mother gas been the best thing that's ever happened to me. We take him to the movies together, eat lunch some days on pick up and drop offs and even communicate with each other! It's truly changed my step sons life to see me and his mother interact! He feels like he can come to either of us at any time!! I'd say throw the party together, such up the pride (I did it, it sucks but so worth it) and give your child what they deserve!!!!!!

baileerichey
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Sometimes a little advise from someone who has been in a similar situation and seen the outcome can give positive encouragement....isn't that why were all here??

baileerichey
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I think that's the reason neither my husband nor his mother have ask to do the party together...however maybe it may be a good step in the right direction. I remember when I turned 9 my family all came together both divorced sides with all family disliking each other and it was the most memorable party I had! 

AAP1988
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Oh I appreciate your advice I really do, but I also think what works for one family might not work for the other. My ex and I don't even get along. Part of parents separating I think is doing different holidays, and parties alone it's part of separation.

Also he wants me to cover all the costs. He thinks I shouldn't invite my family so he can invite him. I told him no. 

Quoting baileerichey:

I think that's the reason neither my husband nor his mother have ask to do the party together...however maybe it may be a good step in the right direction. I remember when I turned 9 my family all came together both divorced sides with all family disliking each other and it was the most memorable party I had! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)